Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving Eve and
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:52 am 

We're going to friends' and I'm bringing a bourbon pumpkin cheesecake in a gingersnap crust with a praline topping.

However, I was told in no uncertain terms that the food will probably be lousy (it will), so I'm still requested to make our traditional Thanksgiving dinner for the 2 of us on Friday.

Turkey & gravy
Stuffing
Cranberry/cognac relish
Mashed potatoes
Rutabaga
Brussels sprouts
Potato rolls
Pumpkin chiffon pie

It's the same every year. I can vary Christmas, Easter, birthdays, etc. But I can't mess with the Thanksgiving menu. As often as I've threatened, I'm sure I'd have a revolt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:40 am 

marygott wrote:

I am making a sweet potato casserole from CI but am very interested in those twice baked ones if you care to share the recipe.

Mary

Mary, I pm'd it to you. I copied it to my email/food file, and don't know from whence it came, so I couldn't send a link. It involves bourbon and pecans, so it should be good.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:40 am 

25 or 28 for dinner

Our traditional family dinner, no changes, please

Roast turkey with sage dressing
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Sweek potato casserole with Pecan Praline topping
Creamed onions
Buttered rutebagas
Blueberry jello salad
Relish tray - stuffed celery and olives
Rolls
Cheesecake
Pumpkin pies

Using mother's wedding china and silver, grandmother's crystal as far as it goes.

fitzie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:30 am 
Site Admin

jeanf wrote:
Jiffy pop shrimp and pg-13 rice? please explain...and share.
Actually, can everyone share?

So "jiffy pop shrimp" is a recipe from Emeril's Christmas. It's shrimp and popcorn cooked together. We'll see how it turns out.

Dirty Rice is a traditional New Orleans dish of fried rice, made with peppers, veggies, spices, stock, sausage, chicken gizzards and livers. I don't use the animal bits in it, of course ... hence "PG-13 Rice".

I'll post some recipes once I'm done and have photos.

Oh! I forgot wine!

So:
Segura Vidas Cava
Tobin James La Grein Reserve 2008

Fitzie, you're brave ... or something ... to use fine china for a dinner for 25.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:01 pm 

Amy,
The Waldorf Salad sounded so good I sent Geekboy out for some apples. I'll be taking that to T-giving at the in-laws.

Fuzzy,
Popcorn, Schmopcorn. Where do I get the recipe for the bread pudding?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

JB,

Dam Good Sweet, by David Guas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:25 pm 

Had a typical T-day dinner here: Turkey, mashed pots (always think of Crystal when I type that), dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce, CI green bean casserole, pumpkin cheesecake and apple pie (with Kenji's crust from Serious Eats).

I used a new method for turkey that worked great (genesis of idea was from Ruhlman's website). I brined the turkey overnight, removed in the morning and air dried for a couple of hours. (That is not the new part.)

Placed sliced onions, carrots in a roasting pan; added water/broth, fresh thyme and parsley. Cut up turkey (herbed butter under/on skin), put breast, leg quarters and wings on top of broth/veggies, skin side up. Removed each piece when done, then strained liquid to use for gravy. (I roasted the neck and backbone and made some broth for use in soup tomorrow.)

The skin got nice and crisp, the meat remained moist and the broth made a most excellent gravy (I used some schmaltz I had saved to make the roux for the gravy). It was a most excellent dinner and we are all stuffed.

I have much to be thankful for, not the least of which are good friends who actually will listen (read) with interest about how I cooked a turkey! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:45 pm 

It was fish sticks and McCain's super fries here...but before anyone feels sorry for me, it's not Thanksgiving here and I pulled a 13 hour day at work. I will probably stock up on turkeys when they go on sale before Christmas and make some later in the year.

And Amy, not bad for a one handed event! You will be so ready for when you hit Top Chef!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:31 pm 

We had our Thanksgiving Dinner last Saturday with the older kiddos that could make it into town this year. So today was just us and the 17 year old teenager...

So we made Reservations! :D It was a lovely buffet with all the special touches...shrimp, oysters, beef, ham, fish and turkey and loads of side dishes from the usual, sweet potatos and mashed potatoes to the unique, a 3 cheese macaroni and cheese dish. Never mind the 2 tables full of desserts and the table of artisan cheese and delicious breads!

I did enjoy the butternut squash soup. It was seasoned with nutmeg, cinnamon and all spice and served with a cinnamon creme. I usually make mine seasoned with curry, onions and apple and serve with a horseradish creme. I got to spend a few minutes with the chef who was checking dishes and we exchanged recipes for each variation of the soup.

Home for a long nap and a traditional light late supper of the leftovers from our early Thanksgiving!

Ressy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:32 am 

It's nice to have my MIL cook, but I really want a turkey sandwich now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next