Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanksgiving menu planning
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, it seems kind of early to be planning, but my in-laws are asking me about it.

As last year, we're going to be renting a house somewhere interesting for Thanksgiving. This year it's the Monterrey peninsula; we'll be able to go whale-watching in TY day.

I generally try to pick an ethnic theme for thanksgiving dinner, such as Turkish, Portuguese, or Austrian. This year, thanks to Kris's choice of dessert, the prospective theme is New Orleans.

So, I need to come up with a Cajun/Creole meal plan which is:

• able to be prepared without special equipment in a strange kitchen
  • not too spicy
  • doesn't require pork or meat
  • ideally uses up some of this supply of halibut caught by MIL's neighbor.

So my first question is an appeal for recipe and/or cookbook recommendations for me.

My second question is, what are other people planning for Turkey Day?

Post subject: Re: Thanksgiving menu planning
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:37 pm 

Blackened Halibut? Halibut Étouffée?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:38 pm 

JesBelle wrote:
Blackened Halibut? Halibut Étouffée?

If you bring parchment then the halibut en papilotte would be great. Flavours can be added to match the theme.
Thanksgiving here is the second monday in October, so not too early for planning at all!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:43 pm 

To us TG is not to far away to begin at least thoughts. I too have been contemplating turkey day. Who will attend, the menu etc. Turkey is always on the menu at our house. If I try to vary from the traditional sides I get flack. I may try to add something new and intersting this year. A new tradition....

Fuzzy, I have no sugestions at this time, but will contemplate the question.

Laurie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:57 pm 

I second Jean's idea of doing halibut en papilotte...I think that would be awesome.

I think I'm going to do my turkey sous vide this year. I never bring a whole bird to the table, so why not! That way I can cook the white and dark meat separately.

This assumes I actually make turkey. It's opening day on the mountain, and we traditionally go skiing that day.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:24 am 

That does sound good! I am already anticipating photos, bring lots of film Fuzzy!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:19 am 

EB - What is film? Do you mean that flimsy, clingy, plasticky stuff? :P :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Jean,

I hadn't thought of en papilotte. And that would be easy, too, even cleanup-wise. As long as I remember to bring baking parchment with me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
.... As long as I remember to bring baking parchment with me.

Oddly enough I found a 10 pack of parchment sheets at the dollar store. Not the most cost efficient way of buying them, but if you are in a pinch and there's a Dollar Tree/General nearby then check there!

We had t-day today. I made a ham, my mom made a turkey, my cousin made a chicken roll from a local butcher (yum), and we all did sides/desserts. I did the CI glazed carrots, CI braised brussel sprouts, cranberry sauce (recipe on the bag), bread stuffing (onion/sage/celery), french onion soup (self service - served in the crockpot with the bread slices covered in melted cheese on the side to float in the bowl), sauted rapini and roasted asparagus, my sister brought twice baked potatoes, and my cousin brought mashed sweet potatoes with pecans on top. Desserts were pumpkin pie, pumpkin cake, tiramesu, and monkey bread. Then all the grown ups that didn't have to bring a child to hockey napped. :lol:

It was GORGEOUS here and we hadn't closed our pool yet. So all the kids swam and we ate outside. Swimming in Canada in October is very unusual...so we really enjoyed it. I just don't want to get the gas bill from where we cranked the heat for the weekend. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:36 am 

jeanf wrote:
TheFuzzy wrote:
.... As long as I remember to bring baking parchment with me.

Oddly enough I found a 10 pack of parchment sheets at the dollar store. Not the most cost efficient way of buying them, but if you are in a pinch and there's a Dollar Tree/General nearby then check there!

We had t-day today. I made a ham, my mom made a turkey, my cousin made a chicken roll from a local butcher (yum), and we all did sides/desserts. I did the CI glazed carrots, CI braised brussel sprouts, cranberry sauce (recipe on the bag), bread stuffing (onion/sage/celery), french onion soup (self service - served in the crockpot with the bread slices covered in melted cheese on the side to float in the bowl), sauted rapini and roasted asparagus, my sister brought twice baked potatoes, and my cousin brought mashed sweet potatoes with pecans on top. Desserts were pumpkin pie, pumpkin cake, tiramesu, and monkey bread. Then all the grown ups that didn't have to bring a child to hockey napped. :lol:

It was GORGEOUS here and we hadn't closed our pool yet. So all the kids swam and we ate outside. Swimming in Canada in October is very unusual...so we really enjoyed it. I just don't want to get the gas bill from where we cranked the heat for the weekend. :shock:

A great meal and swimming. Most of the pools here in Michigan are closed by our Labor Day weekend.