Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Graduation Trepidation
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:01 am 

Although I was sure I am too young for this, my daughter is graduation from high school anyway. I am sure I will have a question about this every day and will need your help and also assurances that I do not look AT ALL old enough to have an almost 19 year old daughter.

Question one: dessert is all about the chocolate so I am having (among other things) a chocolate fountain. I am borrowing it from a friend and have personally never had anything to do with one. I have some great Belgian chocolate chips on order and looked on line and saw that oil was added to the chocolate for this things. Anyone have any tips for me? Ratios. Dippers. More assurances about how those laugh lines only enhance my youthful appearance.

Mary

Post subject: Re: Graduation Trepidation
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:58 am 

marygott wrote:
Although I was sure I am too young for this, my daughter is graduation from high school anyway. I am sure I will have a question about this every day and will need your help and also assurances that I do not look AT ALL old enough to have an almost 19 year old daughter.
Mary

Mary,

Being the senior citizen of this community, the following is dedicated to you with respect and affection....

"There is this vivid memory of the day I retired and first saw the picture you have used on this forum for those many, many years. My trophy wife and I had hopes that you started your family early enough to pay $3,000 college tuitions for your children. When you begin to mature, you will understand true and youthful beauty develops with the wisdom of age."

I am so full of :D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :ugeek: :geek: :mrgreen: :| :arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :roll: :twisted:

CC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:11 am 

You look mahvelous darling...

I'm not a big fan of chocolate fountains, but fruit, e.g., strawberries, pineapple, bananas, etc. are usual. Also, cubed pound cake...heck, you could even use rice krispie treats.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:26 am 

Marshmallows are also big with the fountain. A friend has one that she rolls out for kiddie dessert....will ask her about the oil. I think she does cream and chocolate.
I love toblerone for fondue but might clog up the fountain.

And ditto what Amy said, you look Mahvelous! Your daughter is obviously gifted and graduated early.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:20 am 

Like Amy, I am not a fan of the fountain, but that said, I've seen my fair share at events. Fruit kabobs seem to be easy to dip, along with various cookies (graham crackers would be different) and of course marshmellows.

And, I am sure that you and your daughter are always mistaken for sisters!!!!!!

ilene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:47 pm 

Check out this website. Lots of ideas.

Dipping Goodies

And your daughter must have aged via soap opera years :)

Nance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:00 pm 

What? Are you a tribble? Were you just born pregnant?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:29 pm 

Thank you all, even Tim.
I was going to do fruit, marshmallows and Petit Buerres which are a buttery cookie that is not very sweet. I was also thinking pretzels. My daughter does not like fruit, actually she would probably like a straw.
Jean, thanks for finding out about the oil. My friend is bringing her fountain over tomorrow so I will read the instructions which could be helpful.

Here is my plan so far:
apps:
chips and salsa
She loves the jarred Paul Newman (I think) from the States with corn and black beans. No raw tomatoes (the fussy child is graduating) but I thought I would make my regular recipe using canned chopped tomatoes instead of fresh and roasting some corn and tossing in some black beans. (I usually make the pico de gallo from the Coyote Cafe and I have done it with canned out of season).
Mini bagels with lox and cream cheese, hummus, sun dried tom. spread and plain cream cheese (I ordered this from an American baker here). She's going to be going to Brooklyn so this was a no brainer
crudites
other chip type things

Mains:
Mixed things to grill. I just ordered a bunch of mixed kabobs and sausages from my butcher.
Potato salad (thanks to my friend Christine)
Pasta salad (thanks to my mom and dad who flew over with 2 giant sticks of pepperoni)
Something like a green salad...

Dessert
The grand chocolate experience.
The fountain with things to dip
Profiteroles with chocolate sauce (already baked and filled with ice cream, not ideal I know but it will do)
World Peace Cookies
Brownies
Peanut butter cups with small chocolates on top so the look like graduation caps

I am also going to have a champagne punch (something like mimosa I thought... she wanted frozen daiquiris. That is what I get for raising my kids in Europe).

Your thoughts are always appreciated (even Tim's)

Mary

PS Nance... your link didn't work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:58 pm 

Mary
Menu looks great (and so do you)
Pretzels are a great idea....I love the salty sweet thing. Salty caramels would also be good (or regular caramels if you can't find or make the salty ones).

She is a lucky girl!

ilene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:30 pm 

you look mahvelous :D