Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Easter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Jean,

My condolences on your relatives.

I am grateful to have relatives who may not cook good food, but sure appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:37 pm 

Oh Jean, I'm so sorry. I feel your pain :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:13 pm 

Thanks!

The weird thing is that this is the only thing they like better from a box. We are, for the most part, a family of "from scratch" cooks. And my sister is certainly no slouch in the kitchen. But they just love their cake mixes. Shrug. And Sigh.

It was the waste of it that just got to me. I would have gladly taken it home had I known that would be its fate and gifted it to our neighbours with 4 teenagers. Nothing goes in the chicken bucket there!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:18 pm 

jeanf wrote:
I will not, I repeat will not, ever again make a scratch cake for my extended family. Made the tuxedo cake that Becca posted. It was excellent, cost a fair bit to make and a fair bit of time, and not only did no one eat it (except me and hubby), they instead all ate the box cake with canned frosting made not by me and then my sister forgot to put my cake back in the fridge and it sat out all night, so it went in the chicken bucket the next morning. :evil:
Lesson learned, I'm going to stop forcing scratch cakes on them.
Rant over....I knew you guys would understand. :D

I so feel your pain! I have a dear friend who told me she preferred boxed cake mix to my from scratch cake, and, to add insult to injury, said she couldn't tell the difference between the boxed brownies and the homemade ones. Ouch!

I'm lucky that my coworkers continually ooh and ahh over my baked goods. Yesteday I made a cake (plus 2 kinds of cheesecake, brownies & eclairs) for our "employee appreciation luncheon." The cake was especially for one of my bosses who also had a birthday. While she was eating it, a friend asked her if she realized she was murmuring "Mmmmmmmm" with each and every bite - and she didn't! That tickled me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:30 pm 

Fuzzy,
Whenever I am sitting at my computer giggling my ass off, Geekboy says, "Regretsy or Cracked?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:50 pm 

*Bump*

This Thursday we're flying to LA to visit my family for a nice 5-day Easter weekend so just wanted to wish everyone a happy and healthy Easter and Passover!
Nance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:42 pm 

Back at ya, Nance! Happy Easter (spring equinox) to all! (what a curiosity that so many religious holidays seem to coincide with these meteorological events...) :)

We will be having a very low-key Easter here. I might yet make cute mini egg cakes since I have the pans, but I haven't used them in years - serious flashback issues. The last time I made those cute little egg cakes, I was matching shots with a 6'2" state trooper whilst decorating the cakes. They turned out great, I didn't lose the contest, but boy did I ever lose the next morning...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:10 pm 

We have 2 hockey games on Good Friday, 1 with a potential of 2 more on Saturday and the finals on Sunday if we advance. I may make a boxed cake. :twisted:

Happy Easter and Passover to all.

Question, when did Good Friday become another Black Friday shopping day? DH was in Jamestown NY and sent me a picture of a patio set at Home Depot that is going to be $300 on Friday...now I want to slip out of the arena and over the border!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:11 am 

Happy Easter and Passover to everyone!

This year I'm not sure what we'll be doing. This is a busy week. Our nephew is visiting, and between work, hanging out with him and my cooking demonstration yesterday, I've not even thought about it. It's closing day on the mountain, and normally I'd go up there for the enormous party, but with the snow being as bad as it is now, I think I'll pass this year. But who knows, I may change my mind.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:34 am 

Ditto Easter and Passover. It is a very long weekend here as both Fri. and Mon. are holidays. Fri. we are going out to dinner for Passover and my fil's birthday. Sunday the neighbors are coming for lunch and Mon. we are invited to a brunch. Sadly the gorgeous weather we were having has abandoned us so I think I will have to hide ducks instead of eggs.

Enjoy!

Mary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next