Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby shower
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:31 pm 

along that line and what Mary was saying about the whole production thing, I'd love to know how you manage this. i.e. what parts can be done ahead, what to buy versus make (do you make the breads?) what order to assemble, etc. We entertain a lot in the summer, lots of weekends and I find myself creating timelines so that we're not eating at midnight. Hey, this would be a great tutorial. :-)

Duck and seviche- oy. I have friends (who I love dearly and are very good to me) think I'm out there by making tapenade or tzaziki. :lol: :lol:

Appliances pick their times to act up very strategically. The secret is not to let them know about the party. It's like photocopiers at work, they fail in pairs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:56 pm 

Completely off topic, but has anyone watched this adorable video on youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9oxmRT2 ... r_embedded

Sorry, just had to share.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:49 pm 

jeanf wrote:
along that line and what Mary was saying about the whole production thing, I'd love to know how you manage this. i.e. what parts can be done ahead, what to buy versus make (do you make the breads?) what order to assemble, etc. We entertain a lot in the summer, lots of weekends and I find myself creating timelines so that we're not eating at midnight. Hey, this would be a great tutorial. :-)

Duck and seviche- oy. I have friends (who I love dearly and are very good to me) think I'm out there by making tapenade or tzaziki. :lol: :lol:

Appliances pick their times to act up very strategically. The secret is not to let them know about the party. It's like photocopiers at work, they fail in pairs.

Jean,

I'd be happy to share how I do it once I'm out from under. No mystery really, it's all about planning. And, virtually everything can be made ahead to some extent. When I'm doing a party (as opposed to catering, which is a different animal because there are multiple people helping out) I tend to avoid dishes that must be made "a la minute".

And, I make everything, down to the mayo. Ah, for this party, one exception. I bought the tart shells for the fruit tarts...they are of exceptional quality, and I don't have tartlette pans.

Re: the mixer issue...Salli forgot to include my whisk attachment (which I needed for the cake). I'd whisk it by hand, but I sprained my thumb a couple of weeks ago (a**hole skier ran into me), and it's hard for me to whisk for long stretches. Luckily, a (non-baking) neighbor friend of mine has a hand-held, which I just went over to pick up. Cake is in the oven as we speak. Phew.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:58 am 

Amy, your menu sounds lovely. I'd love to hear how you served everything and how your table(s) were set. Did you take some photos to share?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:05 pm 

Trink,

Actually, the event was held at one of my two co-hosts' homes. She's from the south and has a lovely collection of antique and modern platters and silver.

She had two huge platters we used for the salmon and mozzarella tart apps, and one for the miniature sandwiches. On these we simply lined things up diagonally, alternating menu items. The sandwiches looked really great given the varieties of bread, a black sesame seed brioche roll, focaccia and walnut/raisin bread.

When it comes to plating, I'm of the school you should never use anything non-edible, and the garnish should signal what's in the dish. So, all of the platters were pretty much garnished with herbs/veggies of whatever is in the dish.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:10 pm 

So when there's lots of garlic, do you put out the parsley sprigs. "Here, you're gonna need this."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:15 pm 

lol...

In season (and when I can get them in my little corner of heaven) I've used garlic flowers...looks really pretty.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:29 am 

Woohoo! My friend's water broke this morning, and she's off to the hospital. (I'm so glad we had them over to dinner Sunday night.) Off to the Grand Junction (about 2 hours away) as soon as they give the call.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:32 am 

Good luck to her (although the first thing the term "water broke" put in my mind was "thank God for that hysterectomy)
Mary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:35 pm 

Would all of you please say a little prayer? He's a beautiful boy, but was born with a problem with his heart and circulation. It may require surgery.

Amy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next