Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Birthday Party
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:35 pm 

About 4 weeks ago, I get a call from a casual friend of mine asking if I will do the food for his partners 70th birthday party. I agreed and I called him back a week later with a menu. He approved the menu and I told him that I will charge him for the food plus $25.00 to cover my expenses. I then call a good friend of the family who is also my second mom and she agrees to help.
The menu is Shrimp Shooters, Beef Sliders with Caramalized Onions and Bleu Cheese, Crostini with Goat Cheese, Pistachios and Honey, Prosciutto and Melon, Almond stuffed Dates wrapped in Bacon, Crab and Cheese Puffs and Hard Salami cones filled with an Olive Tapanade.
Last Tuesday, I go to the house and plan the layout for serving. Last night after work, I go do all the shopping and start some of the prep work that I can get done ahead of time. The prep consists of caramelizing the onions, making the Tapanade, making the crab mixture, slicing the melon, making the salami cones, stuffing the dates with almonds. Today, before I go to work, I have to run to the store again and pick up some Bacon for the dates. I had some in my freezer that I was going to use, but the zipper bag wasn't sealed and it had a funny smell, so I tossed it. At lunch time, I go home and pull the dough out of the freezer that I am going to use for the sliders. After work, I go home, take a shower, pack the car and pick up JoAnn. We get to the house at 5:00 and the party starts at 6:30. That gives us an hour and a half to get ready. About 6:40 and we are ready for guests. There were 24 guests and so I planned 10 items per guest plus 60 extra to be on the safe side. Well, they ate and ate and ate. Everybody came through twice and many came through three times and one guy came through four times. At the end of the night, there was maybe 10 items left. I was surprised. Everybody really enjoyed the food. I heard one lady comment on how nice it was that the food wasn't the frozen appetizers that you see at a lot of parties. Needless to say, JoAnn and I worked our butts off. The food was $100.00 plus the $25.00 I charge to cover my expenses. The host gave me $140.00 plus he gave JoAnn $40.00. All in all, for all the work we did, I think he got a pretty good deal.

Post subject: Re: Birthday Party
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:22 am 

For a casual friend I don't understand why you would work for free? Nobody should mind paying a working wage plus tip for food service. In particularly bad weather I tip $2 to the guy who fills my gas tank.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:40 am 

wino wrote:
For a casual friend I don't understand why you would work for free? Nobody should mind paying a working wage plus tip for food service. In particularly bad weather I tip 2$ to the guy who fills my gas tank.

$2? Back when we had guys who filled your tank, I'd just flash a little cleavage if I thought he needed a tip. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:42 am 

You made all of that wonderful food for $100.00, wow!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:25 am 

You did a great job for a really limited budget. I second the thought that for casual friends you can charge a fair price for your labors.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:55 am 

Tuff for me to do the cleavage thing......
I got 4 layers of clothes on :!: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:55 am 

Sounds like a delicious menu. Glad it was so successful Todd!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:23 pm 

Great job Todd. I also think you could have charged but you can put this in your Karma bank and get it later with interest. I also am amazed you did this for so cheap and it all sounds so good.

If I want to tip someone I just promise NOT to show any cleavage.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Are we back to duck breasts?