Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wegman's
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:34 pm 

Stopped at Wegman's on the way home. Just love those stores. We have 2 in our area, but both are about 35 min away. I could spend all day in there. Today, besides bread, we bought veal shanks, branzino, steamers & great looking spinach pasta from Italy. These things are either very rare in our area or impossible to find. It is actually a good thing that we don't have a store closer to us or we'd have to get a second mortgage on the house.

For those of you that have a store near you, what are your favorite products from Wegman's?
Kathy

Post subject: Re: Wegman's
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm 

I WISH I had a store near me. One of the times I ran out of money and had to move back in with my parents (not to scare you Crystal) they had just opened a Wegman's in Corning NY which is about an hour away. It was like Disney. It was the first store open 24 hours so at 11, if you were bored, you ran up to Wegman's. I still love going when I am home. I just walk through each aisles marveling while whoever is with me is trying not to roll their eyes. Unless I bring one of my kids, they have no compunctions about eye rolling.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:36 pm 

If I had a Wegman's or a Central Market in my local area, I think I'd be the happiest woman alive. Sigh...

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:03 pm 

I have a wonderful store . . . Byerly's . . . just a few minutes from home. I don't think it's as big as Wegman's, but it's nice. Ahhhhh, Central Market. What an awesome experience. I'll never forget our trip to San Antonio. Everytime I pipe icing I think of Darcie, and when I shape dough I think of Amy. I learned a lot from you guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:17 pm 

Trink,

I get to Minneapolis every once in a while (my cousin lives there) and I've been to Byerly's. Really nice store.

I remember Frank's shock at my adoration for Central Market...as I explained to him, you just can't afford that much real estate for a market in NY.

That was a fun trip!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:27 pm 

I do not wish to be cruel, but--there are three within 30 miles, so I'm pretty much in Nirvana. The one in Ithaca has more organics and every vegetable you can think, but the one in Geneva has better prices, particularly on veal, and the one in Elmira has better sales.

So sorry for the rest of you....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:46 pm 

trinket wrote:
I have a wonderful store . . . Byerly's . . . just a few minutes from home. I don't think it's as big as Wegman's, but it's nice. Ahhhhh, Central Market. What an awesome experience. I'll never forget our trip to San Antonio. Everytime I pipe icing I think of Darcie, and when I shape dough I think of Amy. I learned a lot from you guys.

Oh, I'm so glad you remember! Byerly's is nice, but the one that's closest to me is probably the smallest one (Burnsville). It just doesn't seem to have as good a vibe as others.

Having been both to Wegman's (with Kathy & Pete!) and Byerly's, I think Wegman's is better.

However, where I live now offers so many more food shopping opportunities than West Virginia that I feel like I'm in heaven!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:22 am 

I've been to the Byerly's in Maple Grove MN. Not as large as Wegmans, true, but very nice. In addition to the selection, what stands out is that it was the first grocery I've ever been in that was completely carpeted.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:38 am 

Kathy's Pete wrote:
I've been to the Byerly's in Maple Grove MN. Not as large as Wegmans, true, but very nice. In addition to the selection, what stands out is that it was the first grocery I've ever been in that was completely carpeted.

I think the carpeting is a bad idea. Makes for a "posh" feel and all, but what about all the bacteria, etc.? :|

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 pm 

:o Darcie, that would gross me out. I have had carpet in 3 kitchens. Now I don't - can't believe how much stuff is on my floor every day. I admit that I am a very sloppy cook, but I have always been. Maybe that's why my son is so healthy! :lol: :lol:
Kathy