Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food & Beverage trends for 2010
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:59 am 

Linked from Chris Kimball's blog/twitter feed:

http://www.csnews.com/top-story-food_and_beverage_trends_for_2010-57758.html
Food and Beverage Trends For 2010

Items of local interest (Stage 1 = emerging trend in fine dining; Stage 5 = full trickle-down to mass market):

-- "Fine Fast" Sandwich Shops (Stage 1): These gourmet sandwich shops took the art of sandwich-making seriously. They were often helmed by fine-dining chefs and featured high-quality, artisan and locally sourced ingredients, as well as a wide range of housemade condiments and toppings.

-- Condiments, Preserved Foods & Heirloom Produce (Stage 2): A rising number of passionate people took food back to its roots, literally. They grew produce from heirloom seeds, revived the art of home canning and made condiments and preserved products of all kinds. This resulted in new thriving DIY communities as this new wave of artisans found outlets for their products at craft and farmers markets, online and at specialty retail stores.

-- Better Burgers (Stage 5): Building better burgers became a nationwide obsession in 2010, whether it meant adding exotic toppings, using grass-fed and locally sourced beef, or finding the perfect bun. Many fine dining restaurants have added dressed up versions on their menus while chain restaurants responded to customer demand for better quality meat by using Angus and Kobe-style American Wagyu beef for their burgers.

Others in the list:
-- Gourmet-On-The-Go (Stage 1):
-- Boutique Booze (Stage 2):
-- Parisian Macarons (Stage 2): (Mary/Kathy: We should have taken the class)
-- Bahn Mi & Bao (Stage 2):
-- Butchery (Stage 3):
-- Agave Nectar (Stage 3):
-- Eggs All Day (Stage 4):

Post subject: Re: Food & Beverage trends for 2010
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:07 am 

Agave nectar is a trend? I mean, I like agave nectar. I just haven't seen anyone getting all that excited about it. Granted, I don't get out much. Are fancy desserts now coming with a "fine drizzling of agave nectar"? Is someone blogging about the terroir of their local artisanal agave nectar? Mostly, I just use it because karo syrup doesn't agree with me. For all I know, agave nectar doesn't, either, but it's more expensive so I use less of it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:08 pm 

Ooooo made me look up agave nectar. Of course, it's pretty much the same thing as HFCS, just made from a different starch. I knew that stuff was too good to be true.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Pete,

Never cared much for Parisian macaroons. They're pretty, but don't takes like much of anything. There's a macaroon shop near the Opera, and Boulange has done them for years ... but blindfolded I couldn't tell the various flavors apart.