Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Non Organic CSA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:05 pm 

We picked 16 quarts last night. I was a little disappointed when I drove up the the field. Farmer Jon mowed the front patch down for the year. We had to pick at one of the back patches. The berries are good, but not as good as the ones from the front patch. I am going to pick again this Saturday.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:39 pm 

So I picked berries this weekend. 21 quarts on Saturday and 16 quarts today. Between the two days, I pretty much picked the entire patch. My neighbors are closing their doors and blinds when they see me walking door to door with quarts of berries for them. They look at me like I am holding a quart of Zucchini instead of Strawberries. Who knew. Even though we had a frost, the patches did yield a lot of Strawberries. I picked a total of 82 quarts this year. If I didn't pick them, they would just rot on the vine. I think I am the only member who picks from the fields. It's too bad, because the berries look really nice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Todd,

Time to make jam?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:02 am 

Oh my, that is a sad state of affairs when strawberries are going unwanted. I have a friend down here in Toledo who is a farmer and they just lost the rest of the years strawberry crop from the 4 inches of rain we had over the weekend. I only had 1 quart this year..... :(

Karen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:58 pm 

Believe it or not, I made my first Strawberry pies on Sunday. I was looking at all the berries that I picked and I told my mom that I was going to make Strawberry pies. I baked off two crusts and then I made the glaze. Once my glaze was finished, I pushed it through a sifter that I have. I let it cool down before pouring it over the fresh berries in the pie shell. About two hours later after cooling my mom and I had a piece. It was really good. I called a friend of mine who was sitting with his ailing father and asked him if they would like a piece. He said yes, so I drove out and delivered two pieces. They also agreed that it was delicious. Yay Me!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:38 am 

I am in a quandary now. Farmer Jon just sent an update. He is not going to mow the third patch of Strawberries until next week. I don't think anybody has picked from this patch in over a week. I guess I am going to have to go pick one more time and look for stragglers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:17 pm 

If there is a soup kitchen or pantry in your area, call them and see if they could use the fesh fruit. They may even send some pickers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:39 pm 

talanhart wrote:
Believe it or not, I made my first Strawberry pies on Sunday. I was looking at all the berries that I picked and I told my mom that I was going to make Strawberry pies. I baked off two crusts and then I made the glaze. Once my glaze was finished, I pushed it through a sifter that I have. I let it cool down before pouring it over the fresh berries in the pie shell. About two hours later after cooling my mom and I had a piece. It was really good. I called a friend of mine who was sitting with his ailing father and asked him if they would like a piece. He said yes, so I drove out and delivered two pieces. They also agreed that it was delicious. Yay Me!

Yay Todd!
(you are a good soul)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:42 am 

I emailed Farmer Jon yesterday offering to pick berries for him and his workers. He let me know they picked the third patch on Monday and they are going to mow it down along with the second patch this weekend. I bummed. No more berries to pick this year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8