Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Non Organic CSA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:26 pm 

ldkelley wrote:
jim262 wrote:
We use a lot more raw kale than cooked. Kale & Brussels Sprout Salad is the reason why.

This looks really good. Thanks for sharing. We love kale around here. Kale chips in the dehydrator, kale in the bean soup, baby kale in salads...

--Lisa

Kale fritters, deep-fried kale, kale étouffée...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:55 pm 

If I had a CSA, and they offered quality tomatoes at their stand but didn't send me any, I would be very very cross. I've considered a CSA a few times, and that angle never even crossed my mind. I *assumed* (possibly incorrectly) that the best would go to those who pre-paid. But, of course, if one considered short term profit, the CSA members already paid. I expect that sort of CSA has limited lifetime.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:48 am 

To be honest, I saw the tomatoes on Saturday and our pickup is on Tuesday. It's too early for "real" tomato season so I'm pretty sure the ones we got the previous week and that were for sale were from the hothouse - we'll see what happens when tomatoes really come in in July or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:09 am 

Farmer John sent out an email yesterday asking if everybody enjoyed the Strawberries and to let us know that the season is over and that the field will be getting mowed today for next year. I asked if I could go and pick any stragglers last night and he told me it would be OK. I went last night with 6 quart containers which I filled in about 40 minutes. There are still lots of berries that could be picked, but they are about half the size of the ones that I picked last weekend. I'm sorry that I didn't take more containers. Even though they are small, they are still very good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:16 am 

Bad news from Farmer John. We had a very intense 2.5" of rain in a little over an hour yesterday that has most of the fields under water. With the season as late as it's been, it looks like we are going to lose some crops because they haven't been able to grow enough to take this much water. It looks like our deliveries are going to be small this Fall.

Last edited by talanhart on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 am 

That's sad, but it's the unfortunate potential consequence of CSAs. Hope it turns out better than it sounds now.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:12 pm 

Todd - hope they are able to salvage some of the crop. Too bad we can't send some of that rain Amy's way. We have fields with standing water here, too. And just last fall we were in severe drought. Crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

Darcie, Amy, Todd:

We just got a freak rainstorm here in CA this monday (I apologized to Carey for the weather). So we can forget about the Northern Cal tomato crop. Not sure how it'll affect the wine, either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:43 pm 

I've been getting storms like that all through June - up to over 20" after a 2 1/2" one yesterday! The greens loved it (though not the heat that brought it), tomatoes, so-so about it, as some are huge, others seem stunted (sunsugars would be much bigger by now, most years). However, I just uncovered my row of peppers and eggplant I cover with a light fabric, to stop the bugs, and OMG! I can't believe the size of the EP, and there is even some chinense variety of pepper under there with flowers. The largest, and fastest producer is a new Korean variety from Evergreen; though they are not yet ready, this is early for anything to have peppers around here, except the super early varieties. Some of the EP seem to be eaten up some, but whatever it is, they are outgrowing it, they are growing so fast! I think it is slugs, due to the wetness.

I hope that rain didn't mess things up too much out there. The only thing it may screw up for me is my garlic - it should be dry 3 weeks before harvest, ideally, which does not seem to be coming.

Here's that row:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:53 pm 

It was nonstop rain here at home too while we were in San Francisco. Crazy, dreary summer!!! My herbs have all bolted. It won't be a great crop year here either. Our farmers markets are still pretty thin; mainly hot house stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next