Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Non Organic CSA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:53 am 

Farmer Jon emailed me back yesterday to let me know that the Lettuce is Baby Romaine and that the Radishes are called French Breakfast.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:47 am 

I received this email from Farmer Jon. I'm not sure I want to pay $20.00 for a Chicken. I'm not sure about the other prices as well. Any comments. What would a 200 lb. hog weigh after processing?

Please have your coolers out for Monday. Raspberries, beets, carrots, lettuce, radishes, squash, watermelon.

Who wants coriander? Pisha got a limited amount of seeds off the cilantro.

We are going to offer a limited amount of poultry and pork for 2014. They will be responsibly fed. That means no meat meal or bone meal. They will be fed with vegetable base protein supplement, corn, soy beans and all the surplus veggies and fruits from the farm. We gat them in early July and send them to butcher about the first of November. They will weigh about 200 lbs. Cost will be $250 for a whole pig, $150 for a half. Cost of processing will be extra. Chickens will be about $20 per bird. Turkeys will be $50 per bird. Depending on the variety, they should dress 15 to 20 lbs. All the poultry will be fed a vegetable based protein supplement (no meat meal or bone meal) plus fruits and veggies from the garden. There will be a limit to the total number of birds for the season. No more than 150 chickens, 20 turkeys. Hogs will be limited to a total of 4.

Let me know if you are interested so I can start planning for 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:41 pm 

talanhart wrote:
What would a 200 lb. hog weigh after processing?

This should help

http://www.ok.gov/~okag/food/fs-hogweight.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:29 pm 

talanhart wrote:
I received this email from Farmer Jon. I'm not sure I want to pay $20.00 for a Chicken.

Pasture raised chicken go for about $4 per pound around here. $20 may not be very far out of line for a decent size roaster for a special occasion. I only buy a few each year. Try one.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:52 pm 

It depends on the size of the chicken for me. I pay $23 for a free range 8lb chicken at my local farmers market. Best chicken ever. Plus, it is good for several meals for us (dinners, sandwiches, meat used in soups and stews), plus stock/soup. I wouldn't pay that for a 3 - 4 lb grocery store bird though. As things are winding down for the winter, I plan to stock up and freeze some. I have also taken advantage of the $0.99/lb turkeys out now. Can't beat $13 for a good sized turkey! Am cooking one this Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:17 am 

I received another delivery yesterday. 5 Squash (2 Hubbard and 3 Butternut), 1 Watermelon, 1 qt of Raspberries, 5 stalks of Brussel Sprouts and about 15 large beets. What should I do with the Squash? The Assisted Living doesn't want it because they still have enough from the last deliveries. I did give 1 of the Butternuts away, so that leaves me 4 and the Hubbards are Huge.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:47 am 

talanhart wrote:
What should I do with the Squash? The Assisted Living doesn't want it because they still have enough from the last deliveries. I did give 1 of the Butternuts away, so that leaves me 4 and the Hubbards are Huge.

Make and freeze soup
Make and freeze squash ravioli (we love these!)
Pies?

We have make this a few times and liked it:
http://recipes.runnersworld.com/Recipe/quinoa-with-butternut-squash-and-sausage.aspx

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:41 pm 

I like it roasted. It shrinks as it cooks so a lot of fresh squash cubes shrinks down to much less for eating (or making purée or soup with, both of which will freeze). Squash purée isn't bad as a topper for Shepherd's pie or chicken pot pie either.

On that note: I finally came across Mexican chorizo in my grocery store. But now that I have some, I can't remember what I wanted to make with it (all I can think of is breakfast tacos). Anyone have any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

The hubbards will keep for a couple months if you don't cut into them, so no rush.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:19 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
The hubbards will keep for a couple months if you don't cut into them, so no rush.

So I can keep these in my garage for the next couple of months. Good to know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next