Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why I don't shop at Whole Foods
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:19 pm 

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Ah, so the Brewers have a strong lobby and their interests coincide with Mom & Pop retailers, or at least make a good in-state revenue stream. Mom & Pop's better hope those brewers don't manage to get together a collective wholesaler who knows how to sell to major supermarkets.

I understand what you're saying but I'm not that cynical. Colorado is filled with M&P businesses, and our legislature is acutely aware of this fact.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 pm 

I'll give you that Colorado seems like a different kind of state; all indications seem to be a pretty good state, overall. It would be nice to see a few more governments serve all of their constituents, not just the ones that are highly organized with funding. And not being that cynical makes you charming :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:20 pm 

I am rarely called charming...so sir, I thank you.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:10 pm 

Quote:
You can't buy liquor or wine in any grocery store in Colorado (at least to my knowledge). We just repealed our Sunday blue laws a few years ago. I'm hoping the blue laws on selling in grocery stores goes away soon. Heck, we just legalized pot.

Amy

Actually, you can, as long as the grocery store has a pharmacy license. However, the reason it is not widespread is that a licensee can only hold one license to sell bottled spirits ( that is to protect mom and pops from big chains taking over). So we have one Target that can sell liquor and one King Soopers that sells wine. Some Costco's sell wine but do so in an adjacent liquor store. When Trader Joe's finally opens, they will have a separate store next door that will sell wine. Eventually it will change, but right now the liquor store operators lobby is too strong and the legislature is strongly supportive of mom and pop.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:21 pm 

The supermarkets in PA have figured out how legally to sell beer, which is a start.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:24 pm 

We just got an LCBM express in one of our Safeways. I almost fell down in shock. Here it's the LC, a private wine store, or the Beer Store. Those are the only options (2 of the 3 are government run).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Mary,

Really!?! I'm shocked. Switzerland is notorious for having the most restrictive liquor laws in Europe.

All,

I love California, especially San Francisco. We're the next best thing to Italy in the US; if you can come up with the cash for a liquor license, you can sell it, no debate. I have a 6 wine/beer shops within 3 blocks of my apartment, and there's three places with a good selection of liquor, including one which stocks over 100 tequila labels. That's why I can be pissy about Whole Foods; avoiding them just means walking another 4 blocks.

The only way things could be better is if it was like Italy, with no licensing required at all. I have friends in Italy who finance their Linux User Group by running a bar.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:53 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Mary,

Really!?! I'm shocked. Switzerland is notorious for having the most restrictive liquor laws in .

Really? It doesn't seem restrictive. Maybe import of liquor is more restrictive because it doesn't seem to be otherwise. Farmers often make their own kirsch and other spirits and sell them from farm stands. The Boy Scouts sell and serve mulled wine at the Christmas market. You can buy booze at gas station stores (the only ones open on Sun), even the ones on the highway. Drinking age for beer and wine is 16/spirits 18. Imports of anything are quite tight though so we don't have the variety you have in an EU country.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Mary,

Huh. I'd heard from Italian and German friends about the state-controlled liquor stores. Is this something which varies by canton? Or were they just BSing me?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:46 am 

jimbo wrote:
MiGirl wrote:
Why not just take your own box? If you are getting them from other stores, save one and take it with you.
Not giving you a box is such a minor infraction, not enough to keep me away.

I too, would give my eye teeth for a WF.

Laurie

I would disagree. The store gets their wine in case lots in a box. Other than desiring to sell you a special box, there is no reason that you should be asked to carry out a dozen or so bottles bare handed.

I don't often go shopping with a bunch of boxes in my truck.

No, but if you know you are on you way to the wine merchant you could grab a box and put it in your car. I have done this on several occations. I was mearly sugesting there is alternative to not shopping at WF over a box issue. It can be easily remidied. And yes I agree they should hand over as many boxes as you need to cart your wine home, but since they don't take one.

Laurie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next