Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CostCo finds
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 pm 

I'm glad to know about the tenderizing issue. One other thing I like is the gift card options to local restaurants. Some good options at times and something like 79 dollars for 100 dollars worth of dining.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:14 pm 

Pete,

You really can't tell. I would never have guessed until the labels appeared. I hate to think how many potentially risky steaks and roasts I ate and served my friends and family.

I remembered a few other things I like: souvlaki marinaded pork loin chops, Janet and Greta low fat products (the chicken burgers especially), all the appetizers that come out at Christmas, the omega 3 eggs, the deeply discounted cookbooks (a bit hit or miss, but lots of CI makes it in), and recently I bought 2 sets of 18/10 Lagostina flatware (10 place settings each) for $80. They replaced my old odds and ends from over the years. The sportswear is nice too. I bought DH some ski gloves a couple of years ago that he loves.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:54 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Jean,

Sorry, I didn't find your thread when I looked.

Fuzzy, not an issue, it was old and only 2 posts and there are lots of pages of Costco related threads, I looked for it to refresh my memory. Sometimes I think a post was from here, but then realize it was TOBB. Or a conversation in my head.

A large portion of our clothing comes from there. They've started carrying Billabong, Ecko, O'Neill and other popular boy brands so my boys love it. And DH loves the kirkland jeans, and I like the Tuff brand yoga wear. And they will price adjust on any bill as long as the item is still in stock. I recently got $200 off a previously purchased computer when they were clearing them out. Plus their 2 year concierge warranty on all electronics, which is a great value.

Sadly we can only buy wine in Ontario at the government run store, so no wine at our Costco.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:19 pm 

I like their Crunchmaster Multi-grain crackers, the EVO, Balsamic vinegar, and, of course, the roasted chicken when I am in a hurry. Then I can make stock and have soup for a couple of days. One Costco I shop at used to carry Ghiradelli 60% chocolate chips, but now they don't carry those, or even Nestle's, but only the Kirkland label chips. Haven't tried those.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:12 pm 

Costco finally has the new season of Tuscan Olive oil in. :D
I was very close to being completely out of it and I didn't want to have to find another decent affordable brand.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:13 pm 

Quote:
My pet peeve with my Costco here is that they refuse to stop running ALL of their beef through the mechanical tenderizer machine that gave tons of people E. coli.

Regarding the mechanical tenderization of beef in Costco, I found out by talking with the manager of the meat department that not all of the beef, at least in my local Costco, is mechanically tenderized. Beef they do not tenderize include:

T-bone steaks
    Flank Steaks
    Short Ribs
    Stew beef
    Rib-eye roasts
    Tenderloins, otherwise they would fall apart
    No chicken or pork is tenderized either

This is some good news for me & hope it is for you too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 pm 

Ivy,

That is good news. I haven't been in my local store in a while, so I'll check next time I go.