Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CostCo finds
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Folks,

I don't got to CostCo often; just when we visit the in-laws really, since in Medford CostCo is a major grocery source. However, I was struck by some of the interesting and rather upscale things in the food department.

For example, I found a box of pre-made Breton-style (well, sort of) crepes, vacuum-packed and refrigerated. The brand is "Le Creperie". I used them as blini, filling them with farmer cheese, egg yolks and spices, and frying them in butter. I plan to go back and buy another box for later use.

Anybody else found something new/unexpected at CostCo or similar stores?

Post subject: Re: CostCo finds
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:23 pm 

The asiago cheese is better quality than what is sold at my Italian market, and half the price. The parm is good too. I also like Ling Ling's frozen dumplings and dipping sauce (chicken and veg, but there might be a veg version). The chicken sausages are good too. The tzatziki sauce (2 pack) is fairly tasty (not as good as home made, but convenient), the bruschetta mix, and the spinach and cheese ravioli in the frozen section. Good scallops too (frozen). I used to like the meat until I realized that all the beef is mechanically tenderized and needs to be cooked to 160 or you run an E. coli risk. Yuck. They sometimes sell gingerbread biscotti too which are super yummy with tea.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:53 am 

The nearest Costco to me is four hours away, so as you can imagine I am not a member. There is a Sam's Club a more reasonable distance. Is Sam's Club as good as Costco?

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:21 am 

I haven't tried it yet, but discerning friends have raved about the rotisserie chicken soup. Also Jarlsburg cheese in big blocks is a great buy. I cot into smaller wedges and vacuum pack them. Their lamb chops are also terrific.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:51 am 

I love the little packs of Roasted Seaweed with Sesame oil that they sold (made in Korea). It is a great late night snack or work snack; crunchy & salty.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:34 am 

I heart Costco. From a thread I started last year but that never took off:

Quote:
Can't believe we don't already have a costco thread.

I'm eating "Mary's Organic Crackers" right now and can't stop. Love these things. In the USA I believe they are "Mary's Gone Crackers". So very good, flax seed version, gluten free. Costco here sells them in a biggish box for around $7. Grocery store itty bitty box is $5. DH was not impressed when I brought them home based on the packaging ("why do we need gluten free crackers?!") but they've quickly become our favourite cracker.

And I picked up the Cuisinart Icecream maker there on clearance for $29.97. Actually picked up 4, 1 for me, 2 for gifts and 1 for my friend to give her husband on Father's day.

My favourite non-food item at costco are the Contigo cups. Both the ones for hot/cold beverages (coffee stays hot for hours and won't leak in my bag) and the water bottles.

True story - my local costco opened self serve lanes, credit and debit cards only (they are amazing!). They have a sample signature for the credit card and it just happens to be "Jean". My oldest boy looks at it and says "Mommy, did they put your name here since you shop here so much?"

US and Canada Costco stores have a lot of the same items. Wish we could get KA flour in ours, and butter isn't even close to the same price.

Amy, we used to have Sam's Club here, but they didn't work out and closed. I had both memberships (Sam's was pretty lax about friends who didn't live together sharing) and they are very similar. Sam's had more "restaurant" supplies ( picked up cutlery and table clothes there for cheap) and the books and magazines were pricier, and their baked goods were somewhat different, but product wise they were pretty identical.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:00 am 

DH had a Sams Club membership when he worked in the US. It's very much like Costco, only owned by Walmart (similar product quality and variety though). I would get a membership if I had one close by.

My pet peeve with my Costco here is that they refuse to stop running ALL of their beef through the mechanical tenderizer machine that gave tons of people E. coli. So to make it safe you have to cook it to well done. Like I'm going to ruin a beautiful steak or roast by dining that! Grrrrr. At least they label it. I have been afraid to buy beef lately (other than ground beef or braising beef) because I don't know what stores are selling beef that is safe to eat medium rare. I wish they'd just make the practice illegal and be done with it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:11 pm 

I buy my jeans there. Calvin Klein's and Levi's happen to fit me well. I also buy eggs and butter, surprisingly good prosciutto and CH sugar. Around this time of year I can find vanilla beans at a good price and so I stock up (Rotelle, which are also surprisingly good) and large rolls of decent quality (no leaks) parchment paper. I love snacking as I go... :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:58 pm 

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Costco parchment paper (giant sized rolls), aluminum foil, plastic wrap, garbage bags, laundry detergent, paper towel, toilet paper, and sparkling water. All of my towels and pillows are Costco too.

I wish they would sell bulk cases of Muir Glen tomatoes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:11 pm 

Hi,

I was not aware of the "mechanically tenderized" beef. This is really a problem since I frequently buy their incredible "USDA Prime" rib eye steaks or roasts. Next trip, I will read the label and talk to the manager. You do the same and we'll change that procedure.

Costco always has excellent extra virgin olive oil at a reasonable price.

The Lake Zurich, Il Costco has their own wine writer/expert who is available every weekend. He is extremely knowledgeable, and a really fun resource for wine stories. Yes, I spend too much and buy too many, but that is his purpose and his recommendations are wonderful.

Amy asks if Costco compares to Sam's? Does Bourbon Steak compare to Burger King?

Tim