Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CostCo finds
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:20 pm 

I don't know...does bourbon steak compare with Burger King?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:45 pm 

Tim,

They may not be labeling it in the US. They never did here either (even though they were apparently mechanically tenderizing everything, including the gorgeous prime rib roasts - you can't tell as the needle holes seal back shut quickly once packaged). The labels have been in response to a Health Canada recommendation after 16 people became ill from E. coli from Costco beef in Edmonton, and now state that you must cook the meat to a minimum of 71 C (160 F) to ensure safety (which is being described as being cooked to 'medium' by Health Canada....I guess 'cooked to shoe leather' would be considered well done). I thought it might just be the steaks, but all of the beef is now labeled as having been tenderized except the uncut vacuum sealed whole cuts (all roasts and steaks packaged by the meat department have been mechanically tenderized). So I have stopped buying everything except the braising cuts, as those will be cooked well anyway. The scary thing is that despite the labels, tons of people were still buying the tenderized meat. Apparently mechanical tenderization is common practice in both Canada and the US, but was never talked about. As for other grocers, I have asked at Safeway, Superstore, and Sobey's, and no-one knows for sure, because while Costco does it on site, lots of times it is done at the level of the processing plant. So the other stores can tell me that it hasn't been done in their own meat departments, but not whether or not it was ever done to the meat. I plan to start calling the local owner-operated butchers in town to see what their beef status is, because I'd rather not eat beef than choke down overcooked meat. If not, I'll start buying the vacuum packed whole cuts and cutting them up myself. Sadly, the rib roast is not offered this way (just the tenderloin and strip loins).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:58 pm 

Thank you for mentioning about the mechanically tenderized beef at Costco. Here am I, grinding my own beef for chili and whatnot to avoid e. coli et al. It never occurred to me that my favorite steaks and filet from Costco could also harbor unsafe e. coli!

A quick Google yielded this (there were lots of hits) http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/09/costco-strip-loin-steaks-from-xl-foods-added-to-recall/

Back to my favs from Costco. My list includes: asparagus, sweet potatoes (seasonally), sliced pastrami (when kids are home), salmon (yes, farm raised but delicious & it comes skinless), usually a rotisserie chicken, eggs, butter, organic milk, Greek yogurt, Jarlsberg cheese chunk, honey (I know local is better but a large container is convenient to have on hand), canned tuna fish, plus almost everything everyone else mentioned above including the dried seaweed!

DH swears by Costco's men's button down shirts, no-iron 100% cotton for $17-something. Plus he recently bought merino sweaters for less than $20 each. We love Costco and the return policy is member friendly. They really want their members to be happy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:01 pm 

Isn't mechanically tenderized beef distinctive by its appearance? I'm picturing a mechanism like this that's used to make "cube steaks":

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:27 pm 

Pete -

Maybe more like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTeH-Xc9J7g

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:48 pm 

OK, maybe not as conspicuous. But not something I want.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:06 pm 

I forgot to add the huge $20 pointsettias ....since I am heading there tomorrow to get two of the 3 foot red ones.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Jean,

Sorry, I didn't find your thread when I looked.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:56 pm 

Tim wrote:
Hi,

I was not aware of the "mechanically tenderized" beef. This is really a problem since I frequently buy their incredible "USDA Prime" rib eye steaks or roasts. Next trip, I will read the label and talk to the manager. You do the same and we'll change that procedure.

Costco always has excellent extra virgin olive oil at a reasonable price.

The Lake Zurich, Il Costco has their own wine writer/expert who is available every weekend. He is extremely knowledgeable, and a really fun resource for wine stories. Yes, I spend too much and buy too many, but that is his purpose and his recommendations are wonderful.

Amy asks if Costco compares to Sam's? Does Bourbon Steak compare to Burger King?

Tim

The last few times I have been in Costco the Tuscan vintage olive oil has been replaced with a Spanish variety that is half the cost, and half the quality.

I also buy their prime loin or ribeye in primal cuts and age it in Cryovac for a few weeks. The quality is as good as from any restaurant supply.

I also buy: Butter, Coffee at about half the price for similar coffee shop coffees. Cream, garlic,many other meats. I generally cook for one, but most can be frozen for short periods. Wines. The Costco here has no one in the store with any knowledge of wine. You are on your own.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 pm 

One solution for mechanical tenderization, if you have the gear, is to sous-vide to pastuerization. You can have a safe, tenderized, rare (well, medium rare anyway) steak that way. Steak, not typically being all that thick, doesn't take so long that texture would be altered. When the wife was pregnant I did that for her (and my) peace of mind as I was aware that tenderization labelling was not mandatory (which it most certainly should be). I actually jaccard my own stuff sometimes (typically pork); it can do good things, but it shouldn't be snuck up on you.