Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brain dead girl needs help...um, that would be me
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:45 am 

Hey all,

I'm in Chicago to deal with some family stuff, and I'll be here for another week and a half. My days tend to be of the 12-13 hours/day variety, and they aren't exactly stress-free, hence why I'm feeling brain dead. However, I'll be damned if I'm in a big city and don't stock up on culinary stuff which I can't get in my own little corner of Colorado paradise.

I have a suitcase available to pack with all of the goodies I could possibly want. I plan to get to the Spice House (it would help if could remember what I actually need beyond oregano and peppercorns...suggestions?) and would also love suggestions on "things to buy in the big city."

Dave, I'd particularly love a list of Thai and Mexican ingredients you consider essential to both of those kitchens. (Non-perishable of course.)

Give me your quirky, your unusual, your hunger-inspired ideas.

Amy

Post subject: Re: Brain dead girl needs help...um, that would be me
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:08 am 

If you head north to Broadway and Lawrence, there is a pretty good Asian supermarket just one block past that corner. If you have the energy, a visit to Mitsuwa would be good, but it is rather a way out in the 'burbs.
Do you find yourself missing ingredients or products?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:52 am 

Amy,

The Spice House in Evanston:

Hickory Smoke Salt
    Powdered Sumac
    Tomato Powder
    Lemon Peel (forget the flavorless Meyer Lemon Peel)
    Whole Guajillo Peppers
    Crushed Aleppo Peppers

Mitsuya Marketplace, 100 East Algonquin Road, Arlington Heights is a monster Japansese food superstore. The location is just north of I90 at the South Arlington Heights Road exit. http://www.mitsuwa.com/tenpo/cica/eindex.html

I have not been to Caputo Cheese Market in Lake Forest but they have a large following. (777 N Bank Ln)

You probably know Sunset Foods in Highland Park, Treasure Island in Wilmette and Zier's in Wilmette.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:56 am 

Thanks Becky. I'm sure there are things I'm specifically needing, but I just can't think of them right now.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:12 am 

I don't have any tips for your shopping spree, but I am disappointed that I will miss you in Telluride next week. I will be there for one night (Wed) to meet with Tourism Board reviewing sites for 2013 Governor's Conference. I was going to PM you when I got our agenda.....bummer!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:26 am 

ChilisAmy,

Here are some items that I could not live without, so if you can find them there, but not in the markets back home, definitely stock up.

The main perishable thing I would suggest is kaffir lime leaves. They are occasionally available in our markets, but that's all - maybe yours are better. They would keep a few days, loosely wrapped, or wrapped with a layer of PTs, before putting in a plastic bag. Maybe look for some odd chilis you never see, like those orange Hanoi markets I grow, which I have only found once in a market. Chilis also keep well, if not tightly wrapped. And if you can't find galangal on a regular basis, but see some there, by all means buy it! This will keep well unwrapped, like ginger, drying out a little, but still ok after several days at room temp.

And here are some brands to look for: fish sauce - Trachang, gold label, which is my favorite, and Red Boat a close second, slightly milder brand, which has become available in Asian markets here. Shrimp paste - some brands of this stuff can turn off even the most avid Thai food lover! Trachang came in first here, too, with one I found way back - Prateepthong - a close, slightly milder second. Both of these have hardly any english writing on the label.

For Chinese, not much I can think of that is unavailable. Chenkiang black vinegar is an essential that I see in all markets around here, but not sure about yours.

As for Mexican, of course look for dried chiles you don't normally find. Many years ago I went to CA and came back with a huge suitcase full of chiles! And maybe some posole corn, that has been pretreated, then redried - something that I used to get at a local market, but can't find it now. And my favorite brand of chipotles en adobo - -Herdez, which I can't find around here any more. Definitely the best of all the brands I have tried.

Hope this helps, and have a safe trip!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:10 pm 

Thanks all. Tim. I happen to be in Lake Bluff right now, so I'll stop by Caputo on the way back to my Mom's. She loves good cheese. I'm staying with my sis in HP, so I know Sunset well...God I love that place.

Dave, thanks for the list. I wish I had brought my copy of Truly Mexican to remind me of the chiles I cannot get...perhaps I will take it out of the library.

That Asian market definitely sounds worth a trip. I will have to find the time.

Btw...next time any of you find yourselves in Lake Bluff, check out Inovasi...great restaurant.

Sorry I'm going to miss you in T-Ride Ilene! Figures, doesn't it?

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:42 pm 

Amy, when Chris is in Chicago I ask for the pound plus bars from TJs. Although you may be able to get chocolate via the restauruant. And the triple ginger cookies from TJs are darn tasty.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:34 pm 

Amy,

Here's a list off the top of my head: ancho, mulato, guajillo, cascabel, passilla, passilla de Oaxaca, mora, morita, chipptle, árbol, serrano seco, chilcostle, and chamoya. This last one is great for grinding up for Texas chili, as well as making Thai curry pastes with.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:04 pm 

Are you good for baking spices? Ceylon (true) cinnamon, cardamom, and whole coriander seeds are always a pain for me to find in the hinterlands. If it were me, I'd also be looking for some vanilla beans. You can never have too many with the holidays approaching.