Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cheating the Self-Checkers
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:51 pm 

1. I avoid them as much as possible. I don't like them because if one person can oversee 4 lanes, that means there are 3 people who lost jobs.

2. I used to own a retail store. I was constantly amazed at what people felt it was OK to take. They couldn't steal a chandelier, but they'd steal crystals off of them. They wouldn't take a whole lamp, but they'd steal the finial from the top. How could I sell a$300 or a $10,000 item with pieces missing? If it was a European import (like Murano) it could take months for me to get a replacement, which I had to pay for and may not always match. This scenario smacks of that. "I won't actually steal the tomatoes, I just won't pay the whole price, so it's not really stealing.

3. Like Mary & Alina, I had the nuns through 12th grade, then the Jesuits in college & grad school. They had me until I was 22. The Jessies required that we take a semester of ethics as a requirement of graduation. Some things stay with you for life (and I'm glad they do).

4. I have to look myself in the mirror every morning.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:49 pm 

Quote:
Not really. The store has already chosen to lay off a bunch of checkers and bring in expensive imported self-checking machines instead. They've abrogated any moral right they might have to fair payment from me.

Every single thing you buy that is mass produced has had measures taken to reduce labour costs, aka putting people out of work. Most things not mass produced, too. If that is an excuse to cheat people, then yay anarchy, bring it on!

Surely you don't actually believe that someones attempt to make a profit justifies you doing whatever the hell you want?

If you want to help employ tellers, then use tellers. Robbing the store won't keep them employed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:25 pm 

I personally really like the self checkers. If I'm only buying a few things, it's so much faster. I understand your point about it displacing workers, but at my supermarket I'm not sure how true that is. They have a policy you shouldn't have to wait in a line to check out. On more than one occasion I've had a facilitator (one of the people who's job it is to manage the lines) take my full cart to self checkout and do all of the scanning and bagging. Seriously great customer service...

As for cheating, I was raised to be honest, so it would never occur to me to try and scam this kind of honor system.

Self checkout has made Home Depot bearable.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:55 am 

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Quote:
Not really. The store has already chosen to lay off a bunch of checkers and bring in expensive imported self-checking machines instead. They've abrogated any moral right they might have to fair payment from me.

Every single thing you buy that is mass produced has had measures taken to reduce labour costs, aka putting people out of work. Most things not mass produced, too. If that is an excuse to cheat people, then yay anarchy, bring it on!

Surely you don't actually believe that someones attempt to make a profit justifies you doing whatever the hell you want?

If you want to help employ tellers, then use tellers. Robbing the store won't keep them employed.

What Paul said. Because a for-profit entity makes legal and logical changes to boost its bottom line, they've abrogated their moral right for you to pay them fairly? I don't mean to be harsh, but that is a self-serving rationalization. Go somewhere else to shop if you don't like their practices, but don't steal from them.

Although I do ay yay, anarchy, because I would find it amusing to watch the people who whine the loudest about horrible government intervention be the first ones to fall because they have no idea how to survive on their wits. Plus, I have plenty of ammo. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:10 am 

Thanks, Paul. You said it much better than I ever could.

fitzie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:38 am 

I mainly like the self-checker because I can bag my own things. Really, even at Whole Foods, where they sell re-usable bags in 18 different styles, only a few of the checkers have any idea how to pack a canvas or string shopping bag. Never mind the checkers at Meijer, where the policy is "one item per bag."

Plus it saves me the mental wear and tear of having to be friendly to a real person.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:18 am 

JesBelle wrote:
Plus it saves me the mental wear and tear of having to be friendly to a real person.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:17 am 

I use self checkers as much as possible for a lot of the reasons already mention....the 4 employees that rotate as monitors are very personable and helpful , particularly when I was in a walking cast last Spring. I did watch one women, who had never used the machine before, have a difficult time trying to figure out how to pay with a check and then walked away with her groceries without paying anything. I guess it is easy to do if the monitors are busy helping someone else. It wouldn't occur to me, but I can see how it would be easy to cheat the machines. I have never thought that any business "deserves" to have me cheat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:21 am 

I'm not generally a fan, but I LOVE them at Costco when you only have a couple of items. I can actually get in and out in under 10 minutes sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Well, mostly I don't shop at stores which have self-checkers at all. When I do have to, I wait in line for the regular checker. I really don't like the self-checkers, either for using them or for what they mean for labor practices.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next