Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cheating the Self-Checkers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 pm 

K, at 65, I have been surprised that they still want my opinion, maybe it is the Hispanic part they like. FWIW, I watch a lot of tv (usually working on LC or perusing magazines at the same time). It is our main means entertainment now and can record 4 programs at the same time and watch another (or 2 if we are in separate rooms). I am lucky that we get both the East and West feeds of cable shows so in addition we can tape (e.g.Food Network, USA, HBO, SyFY, etc.) early and tape network shows at prime time. Don't ever watch live TV except for occasional sport events. Not sure my taste would match yours, I like dramas, loving Revolution and Last Resort so far. Why would HGTV and Discovery get cancelled based on Nielsen's?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:45 am 

Kathy's Pete wrote:
jim262 wrote:
The average consumer does not go traipsing from store to store looking for better service, they are looking for a better price.
I reiterate: Wegmans proves you wrong (as does, I believe, Byerly's).

On the contrary, Wegmans makes a compelling argument for my side...

There seems to be an unspoken assertion is that a consumer must spend more to shop at Wegmans, but Wegman’s spends a considerable portion of their advertising dollars telling the consumer that is not true.

A banner on the front page of my morning paper greets me with the news that Atorovastatin is Free at Wegmans pharmacy.

When I enter Wegmans, I am greeted by signs that tell me I don’t need to comparison shop because they already have and post comparison prices with Wal-Mart and Tops on several staple items.

In print and on their web site, they will not let me forget that Wegmans practices Consistent Low Pricing on dozens of items “that families buy most” and then lock them in for balance of the year.

In nearly every department, I have the option of buying Club Packs that make shopping at Sam’s Club less attractive, and their $6,$8, and $10 prepared food entrees are designed to keep customers from hitting the drive through on their way home.

Of course, to get to safety of the center of the store where prices are frequently lower than the competition, one must first negotiate the mine field of the Sushi Bar, Coffee Shop, Bakery, Full Service Deli, Cheese Shop and Mediterranean Bar. It is not difficult to have $80 worth of groceries in your cart before your get to the produce department to start your “real” grocery shopping.

Like all successful businesses, Wegmans is aware that price sensitivity does not disappear no matter what the economic circumstances of the buyer. They know that ever item that every goes into a grocery cart has to pass price, value, and utility tests with customers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:18 am 

The problem with the general discussion is the term "average consumer". I'd agree with Jim that the average consumer (or perhaps most common consumer) will value price over service. The success of Walmart, Target, etc. are testimony to that. However, there is plenty of room in the marketplace to cater to non-average consumers. The success of stores like Whole Foods, at a very significant price increment, shows that customers find value in a variety of things and in their case I believe (from observation of people I know that shop there) that service is a portion of that value. I know my shopping habits are fairly strongly service driven.

However, in the context of this discussion, I think bringing the average consumer into the discussion is really a strawman.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:32 pm 

I think to a lot of people how much more they will pay for service is a trigger that varies. For me, even if it's free I won't tolerate lousy service. I just don't have the patience and time.
I'm lucky enough to have a local No Frills store (think Aldi) that has excellent service (the owner actually saw me looking at a shelf, asked what I was searching for and then offered to order it in), so I go there often. Doesn't hurt that they price match to local stores flyers if I so choose to spend the time looking up pricing. The produce is usually excellent. No self checkers but you bag your own, and like most stores here you bring your own bags or buy them there.
The other main store I go to is a family chain (longos) that is the fastest growing in the Toronto area. I would compare them to Wegmans in terms of what they offer. Most canned goods/dry goods are on the expensive side but they have decent sales. They scan and bag, bags are free (and compostable). (My latest find there is Bonne Maman jam, no HGFS and yummy- first jam my picky boys will eat)
I go to both stores depending on my list and my time availabilty.
Walmart is comparable to No Frills from a price point, and we have a large one here, but I'd literally need to have checked every store for something before setting foot in it, that's how much I loathe it. Their service is awful, there are no dedicated "grocery only" checkouts and the self checkers are a joke.
Metro is comparable to Longos for higher end pricing, but again, the service is awful as they never have enough staff. Their shift change is right when most people are arriving after work and I've been in a line there with a single roast chicken in hand for 15 minutes. Compare that to Longos where the owner will be bagging if there's a line.
Honestly though my main grocery store seems to be Costco. Can't beat their pricing on most things we use often, the meat is great and the service is excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:04 pm 

Cubangirl wrote:
K, at 65, I have been surprised that they still want my opinion, maybe it is the Hispanic part they like. FWIW, I watch a lot of tv (usually working on LC or perusing magazines at the same time). It is our main means entertainment now and can record 4 programs at the same time and watch another (or 2 if we are in separate rooms). I am lucky that we get both the East and West feeds of cable shows so in addition we can tape (e.g.Food Network, USA, HBO, SyFY, etc.) early and tape network shows at prime time. Don't ever watch live TV except for occasional sport events. Not sure my taste would match yours, I like dramas, loving Revolution and Last Resort so far. Why would HGTV and Discovery get cancelled based on Nielsen's?

HGTV and Discovery didn't get canceled, but Christopher Lowell, Kitty Bartholomew, Lynette Jennings did. I said I liked them. Along with Sarah Moulton, and some others. And I'm 63, so we're close in age. I said the next time, I'm going to lie. What I dont' get, is that I have had the 17-35 male in MY HOUSE, and he doesn't watch TV: he watched the Weather Channel, (I'm not kidding) The Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, or NGEO. He just didn't watch network TV. I don't know anyone with a male in that demographic who does, which is why I question the research at all.

AND BTW Jim: I am constanly surveyed by Wegmans, and I tell them what I think. I love the personalized service, but I'm from California, and I like being spoiled, and I like knowing when I walk in, I will be able to find what I am looking for.