Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: This week at the Farmer's Market
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:13 pm 

Well, OK, one guy (Paris) seems to have a, ahem, beef.

I can't wait till the market opens. We'll be going this weekend and spending as much as possible (i.e. buying everything we might remotely eat)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:24 pm 

Our Farmers Market is fairly small. Probably 10-15 vendors, but it is all fresh produce and a couple that offer meats such as lamb and chicken. There is also a flower vendor that carries perinials. I can't wait for it to start, we are a few weeks away yet.

I love the bright yellow sungold cherry tomato's and I can hardly wait to get my hands on some. I like to cut them in half and place on top of a olive oil and rosemary trisket that has been smeared with Feta spread. The contrast of flavors is to die for.

Also, fingerling potato's and all the unusual varieties not found at the market. All sorts of peppers both hot and sweet, baby panpan squash and spring onions. Hell I love it all!

Laurie

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:03 pm 

Not really a Farmer's Market, but I went to a weird little place in Concord to pick up some fresh eggs and bacon. You drive to a horse stable, enter a basement door with a chicken on it under the horse stalls and get super fresh eggs, home-processed pork products, and other goodies out of two refrigerators and a freezer and leave your money in an envelope under the door. The only way to find this place is to get a referral from a friend, and then email them and they'll send directions. Unbelievable bacon and they had little pullet eggs since it's so early in the season.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:26 pm 

I love our City Market. Lask week I bought asparagus, spinach, baby bok choy, parsley, new potatoes and cilantro, 8 basil plants and one rosemary. Also flowers for the window boxes. Also a loaf of very good Italian bread.

We've been going every Saturday morning for years and years and we look forward to it every week.

fitzie

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:52 pm 

Our farmers market started last weekend but I never go. Tried it a few times and the vendors are snooty and not helpful. Veggie selection, even in the height of summer, frankly sucks. Further out I've been to a few different markets that are fantastic, just a bit of a hike to meet the actual growers.

We go to one when we camp that is phenomenal, tons of farmers with their produce and homemade goodies. And miles of great junk tables, which is probably where our traily hitch wound up last time we visited. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

Tim,

Well, I expect it's time to go back to the Ferry Building soon ... and maybe even finally find the elusive Alemany Farmer's Market.

They've continued the "Farmer's market" on wednesdays in our neighborhood. I don't know why. We now have both a Whole Paycheck and a local competing independant market, either of which have great produce selections (Haight Street Market better than WF). I don't expect that market to last the summer.

We have too many FMs in San Francisco anyway. We don't need one in every single neighborhood. Y'know, I can stand to walk a few blocks.

Anyway, what I'm looking forward to:

• really ripe heirloom tomatoes
  • armenian cucumbers
  • weird pepper varieties, esp. Hungarians and other mild ones
  • purslane
  • basil: sweet, thai, lemon and holy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:58 am 

Lindsey, that sounds like and adventure and a whole lot of fun all wrapped into one. I love places like that. We have a few farms that have roadside stands with a coffee can to put your money. Some have price list, others say pay what you feel it's worth. I get tomatillo's from one like that. They also have a big variety of peppers so I can make a killer salsa verde after a visit.

Laurie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:49 am 

Hi,

Our local Farmer's Market is in full swing with many new vendors including 3 grass fed beef producers, local cooks selling Saran wrapped (WTF??) bread, homemade soap and some seriously overpriced baby produce.

We are now buying Red Haven peaches (yes, Kenji's pie crust is excellent), rosa bianco eggplant for babaganouj, chiogga beets (I love the stripes), Mantauk corn (really nice), heirloom tomatoes and my reasonably priced favorites below:

Fairytale Eggplant: roast at 400 with olive oil and salt

Potatoes: Does anyone have a good twice baked recipe for these?

Yes, those are dimes and pennies for size reference. Life is nice when our farmer's are happy.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:58 pm 

Why twice baked? I'd be trying CC's recipe for salt potatoes with them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:38 pm 

Jes,

When you have potatoes that are the same size as peas, twice baked is a natural!

cc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next