Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cottage Food Laws
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:20 pm 

We can get lemons & bananas at our farmer's market, but what of it? We can also get all kinds of locally butchered beef, pork & rabbit (I think the chicken is Perdue), and tons of local produce in season. Is it disqualifying if we also buy a few bananas while we're there?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Pete,

It's a matter of ratio. Having a few imports among a generally local selection is fine. However, at some "farmers" markets, you see entire booths which are clearly re-crated Costco produce. And for my part, if I want to buy Costco produce, I'll go to Costco.

Also, there's a big difference between hard-to-find imports and mass-market imports (e.g. organic red bananas vs. Chiquita bananas), at least in my mind.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:00 am 

We have several farmer's markets to choose from. The small ones require produce to be grown with a certain number of miles, 200 being the greatest distance.

The Kansas City Farmer's Market (the largest in the area) has a limit but I don't know what it is. There are a lot of local odd-ball vendors (imho) such as jewelry makers, birdhouse makers, etc. etc. We are also loaded with Mennonites, way too many I think. They grow evrything in covered rows or greenhouses and thus have tomatoes in April for which they charge dearly. A couple of years ago we got an influx of Asian people and they have wonderful produce. I don't know where it comes from but I doubt it's grown in their backyards. This market is surrounded by wholesale produce vendors so you can buy limes, oranges, pineapples, almost anything you want. The market was originally built for the wholesales and later farmers were allowed to come in on weekends.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:05 am 

Pete, my view is that a farmers' market is supposed to be for FARMERS, not produce wholesalers or sellers of cheap plastic flip-flops. At the Mpls. farmers' market, it is so crowded that having these superfluous vendors makes it difficult to find the local offerings. The wholesale and apparel vendors also have the biggest and best (i.e. priciest) booths.

I can get bananas anywhere...heck, even the gas stations have bananas. I'm more interested in the locally grown morels, the beautifully ripe and delicate berries, or the 27 varieties of pickles.