Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Parchment paper sheets
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 am 

Sorry to be a little late, but the half-sheets I get from King Arthur's work great and are easy to store in a half-sheet pan on top of the refrigerator.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:20 am 

Lindsay,
Your post just reminded me that I am out and I have to run to Gordons and pick up some more sheets.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:28 am 

I just ordered from Baking Queen. Randi (calipoutine) sent me a code and I got 1000 sheets for $47, shipping included. I'm splitting them with a friend and will have them in a couple of weeks as it's going to my brother's place in NY.

Storing them should be interesting since our new fridge is taller than the last and I can no longer fit anything on top between it and the upper cabinet.

Tatoosh, I have a silpat somewhere (I think the Kaiser is the same idea) and also had a couple of knock offs that I got rid of after mistakenly using them when cooking bacon...the bacon taste permeated the sheet and I just couldn't get the sheets to feel clean. I prefer parchment, especially since I can throw it into our local kitchen compost program's bin.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:22 am 

That's a good price with the shipping. Gordons is $39.00 for a case of 500. Are the sheets the Full pan size and you cut them to Half pan size?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:25 am 

Todd, they are 12*16. So a half sheet size. The code got me $25 off, so a great deal. I don't know how long it's good for, but can message anyone with it. Since it wasn't mine to begin with I don't feel comfortable just posting it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

Tatoosh wrote:
Just curious if any of you have tried the reusable parchment paper such as Kaisers? Supposedly good up to 500 degrees and they claim up to 1000 reuses. While parchment paper is commonly available here, it is a bit expensive so a reusable sheet sounds interesting. However for some things, regular paper might be better since you can cut it to fit.

Well, if you really want something reusable, try a Silpat silicone sheet.

Quote:
I regularly use parchment for my pizza since my pizza "stone" is constructed of bricks with uncertain content. They are probably okay but I err on the safe side and never cook food directly on them.

Oh. Presumably you're going to be heating the pizza bricks to more than 500F, though, no?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:25 pm 

The Silpat is great, but I hesitate using it in above 450F. We use the one we have in baking sheets, but not by itself on the baking bricks.

In terms of pizza and 500F oven, sad to say, no. We don't get to 500F, to heck over it. We seem to have a 475F top end with our propane oven. The desire for parchment though, is two fold. The unknown composition of our brick baking stone and the handy use of parchment as both protection and ease of use for sliding the pizza on and off the stone. We normally will make a minimum of 3 pizzas per time, though sometimes up to 5 or 6 if there are guests. Pizzas are smaller 10 x 15 rectangles.

Reusable parchment seems like a nice balance between the Silpat and one use parchment that we go through here often. Plus we can cut the parchment down to for special use without me having a small coronary. Such as with our cake rounds and so forth.

Steve A - sorry for the delay, I missed your reply.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:35 am 

Todd, I buy smaller packages (maybe 50) at GFS, for under $10.00. I have had the same package for a year, I'll have to look and see how many sheets are in it. They are the full size sheets, I cut in half for a standard baking pan.

Laurie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:32 am 

FYI, got this in my e-mail:
Quote:
1. 15% off any baking parchment purchase – code FallSavings

2. Save $25.00 on 1000 12x16 sheets – white (code Fall25) or natural (code Fall25N)
Use these promo codes at our website thebakingqueen.com. If you’re not in need of paper at the moment, feel free to share the code with a friend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:49 am 

Jean
Your timing could not have been better....I was getting to re-order 500 sheets (cannot store 1000) from Baking Queen today.
Thanks
Ilene