Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another reason to support local farmers.....
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:40 pm 

Darcie wrote:
Fuzzy, I'm sure there is a belief in the deterrent effect, whether it works or not. And of course we can't just turn a blind eye to the fraud. There is a determined effort to not squander time and resources on a small case. There is more fraud in the program than I thought (unfortunately):

From the Washington Post, 12/6/11:

Quote:
With more Americans relying on the program, the Obama administration on Tuesday plans to announce new steps to crack down on SNAP fraud amid estimates suggesting as much as $753 million in federal food aid is spent fraudulently each year.

USDA plans to introduce what officials described as “severe penalties” for the illegal “trafficking” of SNAP benefits by retailers and beneficiaries. The officials, who were not authorized to speak publicly on the issue in advance of this afternoon’s formal announcement, did not detail the severity of the penalties.

About 230,000 retailers nationwide participate in the SNAP program, with about 80 percent of funds spent at larger grocery chains. But officials said several smaller retailers often fraudulently obtain PIN or card numbers from program beneficiaries and keep the funds without the person’s knowledge. In the last decade, USDA has disqualified more than 8,300 retailers for such fraud, officials said.

They just arrested the 30th person here locally http://features.rr.com/article/0g08cXp1Ze12s in a food stamp fraud ring.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:08 pm 

Personally, I think the bigger fraud target is Section 8. I've seen it up close and personal when I lived in NY.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 am 

Amy wrote:
Personally, I think the bigger fraud target is Section 8. I've seen it up close and personal when I lived in NY.

Amy

I agree. That's one I would like to see completely done away with. The trouble with EBT fraud is that it takes away from people who really need it. We contribute to our local food pantry regularly, and I see the folks who are there for their donations. They really need it.