Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Murray's Cheese and Kroger
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:09 pm 

I asked the cheese shop at my local City Market to get a Colorado-produced cheese a friend of mine from culinary school has been drooling over. Well, it took a few weeks, but they finally got (only one) of the ones I wanted. I'm happy to at least have that.

Anyway, over the course of them trying to procure this cheese for me, the manager of the department and I became friendly. Today she told me Kroger's (which owns City Market) and Murray's have a deal introducing Murray's into some of their stores. They are only in Cincinnati, Houston and Atlanta for now, but she made it seem that is going to expand.

Don't know if it will ever make it's way to my little corner of paradise, but I sure hope so! I used to buy virtually all of my cheese at Murray's on Bleeker when I lived in NY.

Amy

Post subject: Re: Murray's Cheese and Kroger
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:14 pm 

Amy
What is the name of local cheese....I would be curious to see if I can find it at Marcyz's or Spinelli's.

Also great news about the possibility of some of Murray's products finding their way to Colorado....I woould go to King's for that.

ilene

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:10 pm 

Monthly trips to Bleeker (Murrays, Italian, Pork) is still part of the shopping routine in the nicer weather. I can imagine that you miss those days.

And wonderful news that Murrays is expanding, I hope ;) .

Nance

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:44 pm 

gardnercook wrote:
What is the name of local cheese....I would be curious to see if I can find it at Marcyz's or Spinelli's.

MouCo (out of Fort Collins), and you should be able to find it at King Sooper's. They make around four varieties, and the one I got (and Andy and I devoured today) was their Camembert. Yum.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:39 am 

I have been eating MouCo for a few years...it is an inexpensive version of Epoisse (the one in the red wrapper).
Love their cheeses and I understand from a friend of mine that he is able to get it in a cheese shop in DC, so not limited to CO distribution.
Thanks for reminding me ....I haven't had it in a while.

ilene

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:29 pm 

I just came across this post via a google alert that involves Murray's cheese. I notice it is old and may not be relevant.

However, I will be a part of the Kroger team to bring Murray's into various Kroger franchises including King's Soopers and City Markets. It looks like I will begin this new "journey" early summer.

You can visit my blog (which I co-write with my cat, the Feline Foodie) for updates as this new adventure unfolds.

http://cheesemonger.wordpress.com.

Marcella Wright
Cheese steward Lead
Fred Meyer (Kroger) - Portland - Hawthorne Store

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:35 pm 

Welcome Marcella!

Anyone food oriented is most welcome here.

The post I made wasn't old, and I be very excited to hear of when and where Kroger will be expanding their relationship with Murray's.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:38 am 

Sorry, I was looking at the date you joined... duh...

Murray's and Kroger formed this "alliance" back in 2007/2008 and the deal is to put Murray's-style cheese kiosks in select Kroger stores (all divisions). There are 7 currently - 2 in Cincinnati (the home base of Kroger), 3 in Atlanta and 2 in Houston. All of these are Kroger brand stores. Kroger wants to accelerate the program and is forming a "team" of cheesemongers from several divisions ( I work for Fred Meyer in Portland, Oregon) to travel for the next 3 years and open these kiosks in various divisions. It's all new but should be running by early summer.

I know that King Soopers is in the early stages - their store in Aspen is #1 in specialty cheese for all of Kroger (2500+ stores, nationwide). My kiosk is usually in the top 20...

I am looking forward to this adventure - each division will have its own "local" cheeses - I'll get to sample a lot of new cheeses.

As I learn more, I will share the information and schedule of opening as I have them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:41 am 

I forgot to add - the program is currently set to put 50 Murray's into Kroger stores over the next 3 years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:12 am 

Marcella,

Thanks for the info. I don't suppose if you know if the City Market in Montrose, CO is on the list?

Amy