Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trader Joe's Report
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:40 pm 

marygott wrote:
What is freekeh?

Also do you have any recipes for the pom syrup? I bought some at a Turkish grocer and don't really know what to do with it. The story of my life.

Mary

Mary,
I found this recipe in Food & Wine. It is one of my favorites! I'm making it tomorrow while watching the Super Bowl. The meatballs are excellent as left overs!

Janet

Ground Lamb and Shallot Kebabs with Pomegranate Molasses

4 servings

Burhan makes ground meat kebabs (kofta) from hand-chopped lamb mixed with diced lamb-tail fat. In place of the fat, Paula Wolfert uses crème fraiche, which keeps the meat rich-tasting and meltingly tender.
2 Tablespoons crème fraiche
1 Garlic glove, minced
1 ¼ Teaspoons salt
½ Teaspoons ground pepper
1 Pound ground lamb
12 Large shallots—peeled, halved lengthwise and root ends trimmed but kept intact
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 Cup water
1 ½ Teaspoons pomegranate molasses
1 Teaspoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons chopped scallions
1 Tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
Warm pita bread for serving

1. light a grill. In a medium bowl, gently knead the crème fraiche, garlic, salt, and pepper into the ground lamb. Using moistened hands, roll the lamb mixture into 16 balls. On each of 8 short metal skewers (10 inches or less), alternate 3 shallot halves with 2 lamb balls. Brush the kebabs with the olive oil and grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned on the outside (but not cooked through). About three minutes.
2. Transfer the kebabs to a very large (12 to 14 inches), deep skillet. Add the water, 1 teaspoons of the pomegranate molasses and the lemon juice; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently over low heat until the shallots are very tender and the meatballs are cooked through. About 30 minutes.
3. Uncover and increase the heat to high. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon of pomegranante molassesand cook, basting occasionally, until the meatballs and sahllots are glazed, about 5 minutes.
4. Transfer the kebabs to a platter and drizzle with any remaining sauce. Garnish with the scallions and parsley and serve with warm pita bread.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:02 am 

Wow Janet, that sounds just like what my daughter Sidonie ate when we were in San Francisco this past summer and has been talking about ever since. It was at a place called Sens in the Embarcadero Center. Fantastic place, amazing view. We stumbled upon it as I had wanted to go to that very foodie place across the street but everything was closed and we were starving and tired after doing the city by foot (the entire city, including Coit Tower). Sidonie, who is 12 got the meatballs as a started and went nuts. About once a month she still says, "remember those meatballs...". That's my girl. The server (who was also fantastic) said there was fois gras in them but she didn't know what that was until recently (we must tread carefully with these things). They were amazing (she gave us each a very tiny bite).

I think this may be my Valentine's Day dinner. What do you serve with these?

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Mary,

I'd recommend a bulgur pilaf: http://www.fuzzychef.org/archives/Tasty ... -2008.html

Post subject: Trader Joe's Report
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:31 pm 

Mary, We usually serve the meatballs with rice. Today we have leftover rounds of sweet potatoes. The recipe suggests warm pita. That sounds just way too bland to me.

I am thinking if having leftover meatballs with homemade pasta.

Made them today on my indoor electric grill. Much easier then the outdoor bbq. I need to make these more often!

Janet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:14 pm 

I made the meatballs with shallots tonight (thank you Janet!). They were excellent. I was going to make a bulgur pilaf as per Josh's suggestion but then found a lemon and pistachio pilaf recipe (with rice) on epicurious. When I used to ask my husband what he wanted for dinner he would tell me and then say "maybe we can have a little lemon rice with that." He had never had anything called lemon rice but thought it sounded nice so of course I teased him unmercifully about it.

I am having falafel later in the week so want to use Josh's salad dressing. Oh and I also used the pom mol in my apples for apple pie a couple weeks ago (no lemons) and it worked very well. After that it will be the one with the eggplant. I am really enjoying this new ingredient (how long has it been in the back of my closet...).

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:37 pm 

Mary, I am so glad you enjoyed the meatballs. I love them!

They are wonderful as leftovers. Actually, I am surprised we have any left over, but always do. I guess a pound of ground lamb is quite a bit.

Janet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:36 am 

Every scrap was devoured by 3 of us which is rather embarrassing. My oldest has a cold and wasn't feeling hungry and just ate a bit of rice.

Thanks again for sharing that

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:27 pm 

I have purchased the Truffle and Chicken liver Pate' and it is excellent. One of my favorite TJ items. I also recently picked up a package of something called Harvest Grains Blend. It says A savory blend of Israeli Style couscous, orzo, baby garbanzo beans and red quinoa. I haven't tried it yet, but am hopeing it's as good as it sounds. Have any of you had this product? If so, did you use stock or water to prepare it? The clerk told me it was his favorite TJ item.

I don't get to a TJ's but once or twice a year while traveling. None to be found in Northern Michigan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

All,

So, we added the precooked freekeh to Daugher-in-Law Soup. It added a nice, chewy, smoky note to it. Recommended.

Also, the vac-packed lentils were quite good and a definite improvement over canned lentils. Much firmer and with more flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:46 am 

I have since made the Havest Grain blend. I cooked it in Chicken stock, and added some left over roasted veg that I diced, it was very good. I m ade about 1/2 the bag, so have enough for another meal. I would definately buy again. The entire family enjoyed it.

Laurie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next