Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grocery Shopping Trauma - A rant
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:20 am 

Had to go get perishables, and just a few things yesterday. In and out. Ha!

So, I was strolling down the aisle, when out of the blue Guy freakin' Fieiri started yapping at me!! Right there. In the grocery store. It was terrifying!! :x :x Can you imagine what that's like??? Someone's idea of marketing. Reminded me of hearing the voice of the devil in "The Excorcist." Bad choice. I couldn't get out of that aisle fast enough.

Then after gaining my composure, I kept shopping and for some reason, everyone decided to shop and bring two friends to s-l-o-w-l-y stroll down the aisles, three abreast. I was starting to think I was in a Fellini movie.

After 2/1/2 hours, I got to leave. I was exasperated. I may never eat again. Or shop.

Do you think I should sue? :?: ;)

Post subject: Re: Grocery Shopping Trauma - A rant
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:57 pm 

Sympathizing. I hate to shop. Any shopping. I have similiar experiences(no Fieri) in our Wal Mart. Yes, folks, right here in Podunk, we have the 2nd largest east of the Mississippi. All the surrounding counties come here to shop.....Aren't we special?

posted while eating a peanut butter on wheat sandwich.

edited to add: I have to confess that I assiduously avoid Wally World, and only go if I am forced.

Last edited by crystal on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:06 pm 

Since I shop mostly at Whole Foods, I get blocked into the aisles constantly. There is just barely room enough for two people to pass each other and Whole Foods shoppers have to stop in the middle to read EVERY label. Luckily, I don't think Guy Fieri would fit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 pm 

I enjoy grocery shopping. I block out most of the annoying stuff and am pretty much in a zen state in the grocery store (exception: Trader Joe's - it's downright claustrophobic in there!). Grocery shopping is generally one of the highlights of my week (is that sad?). I take my time, compare prices, read labels, squeeze produce, and try to put together meals in my head. I am probably someone who would be blocking you, KSS! :lol: Although I try not to do that, honest. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:37 pm 

Darcie wrote:
someone who would be blocking you, KSS! :lol: Although I try not to do that, honest. :oops:

Unless you can triplicate yourself, I don't mind. I usually don't dislike shopping; just not having Guy Fieri jump out of the shelves and scare the shit out me, and then watch everyone else walk through jello.... Shopping should, and normally is, pleasant. Maybe I'm just grouchy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:13 pm 

I am lucky - the stores I go to are unlikely to have a shouting Guy Fieri (that would annoy me). The things that drove me bonkers were the motion-activated coupon dispensers. I haven't seen them in a while. I also dislike any cardboard displays placed in the aisles. The grocery store I frequent most does not do that - they have an area at the front of the store for all of that sh*t so I can avoid it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:32 pm 

Darcie wrote:
The things that drove me bonkers were the motion-activated coupon dispensers. I haven't seen them in a while. I also dislike any cardboard displays placed in the aisles. The grocery store I frequent most does not do that - they have an area at the front of the store for all of that sh*t so I can avoid it.

Forgot to mention: that was the deal. Walking past something and the coupon pop-out started talking all Guy-Fieri-Creepy. Eeeeeewwwwwww.

Just beware. It's a frightening thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:55 pm 

Just to steal this thread slightly and tip it into a related area - I actually shop daily, often creating the evening meal while browsing. We're a relatively small town (250,000) and the closest store (2 blocks) is Safeway where I know 1/2 the staff and 5 of them real well. The problem: the stick-up-his-ass manager does not allow them to use my first name. The close ones do anyway but they tell me he feels it is unprofessional! There are at least 5 equally large groceries within 2 miles of me, with as good a selection and better in some areas. Safeway usually has the highest prices. I shop there in part for the convenience but also for the kidding I throw at the staff and they back at me (whodathunkit?) This guy's car always sparkles and is always parked far away from the maddening crowd so I believe it is a compulsion thing not company policy. Nonetheless, I think the store is missing an opportunity to create a better bond with the customer. Okay, I feel better now! Return to your regular programming; the trouble was with your set.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:03 pm 

KSyrahSyrah wrote:
Forgot to mention: that was the deal. Walking past something and the coupon pop-out started talking all Guy-Fieri-Creepy. Eeeeeewwwwwww.

I had the same thing happen to me recently at my local Publix. I almost dove to the floor in sheer reflex. Good thing I don't routinely carry a weapon...that coupon dispenser might have been toast.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:06 pm 

Tiffany wrote:
KSyrahSyrah wrote:

I had the same thing happen to me recently at my local Publix. I almost dove to the floor in sheer reflex. Good thing I don't routinely carry a weapon...that coupon dispenser might have been toast.

Tiffany- routinely? :lol:

Am I the only one that actually likes Guy? Well, I like the food he makes on his show (not the diners one), it's accessible, family friendly and makes cooking seem like something anyone can (and should) do. The rings have to go though. At least while cooking.

We have a family owned, rapidly growing chain here in the greater Toronto area - Longos. Since it's opened it is the only place I shop, great produce, excellent meat (premium at a premium price), bakery and deli, but it's for the service that I go. They bag my groceries, aisles are wide and people move along pretty well, even though it is the most crowded store in town. And the staff are pleasant and helpful. I leave happy. :mrgreen: