Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheese discussion / cheeseplate ideas?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:12 am 

I have set my cholesterol counting aside for the season and am enjoying some real cheeses from a little deli up at our ski area.

The Mimmolette was beautiful and so yummy. It's a pumpkin color and the rind is full of little grey pock marks that apparently house little cheese mites that help aerate the cheese. The Ewephoria is also on our list. It's a sheep gouda.

I've been reading online bits about how to put together a cheese plate - any good ideas or suggestions there? Good types of crackers or breads? I really know nothing about cheese (was going to capitalize)....so any information would be helpful. Or websites, or podcasts. I've found a few but there must be many good ones.

I discovered the triple creams a few years ago after Amy talked about it OTOB. These harder cheeses seem to agree with me more and keep better. They seem to be quite low in lactose. Any other suggestions for hard cheeses? There was an aged Gouda at Costco a while back that we loved but it fell off my radar when the cholesterol became an issue. It's nice to tiptoe back into it.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Cheese discussion / cheeseplate ideas?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:40 am 

Lynn,

The rules of cheese plates aren't nearly as "fixed" as the rules of serving wines.

Generally, you just need to establish some sort of theme for yourself. For example, you can pick cheeses all from the same animal (goat, cow or sheep) and go for various ages and textures. You can select cheeses all from the same nationality, or region of a country. You can serve a soft, medium and hard cheese with each animal being represented in each category (although, that's a lot of cheeses). You can serve young and aged of the same type of cheese. (Something along the lines of a young gouda and an aged one-which I also really enjoy; as well as a young and aged provolone, etc.)

I think you get the point. Just pick a "theme" and plan around that.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:19 pm 

Thanks, that makes sense and had not occured to me that way. I was getting hung up on what else to put on it, rather than focusing on the cheese if that makes sense. I can see that the other stuff will come naturally after the cheese theme and selections are made.

Lynn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:22 pm 

Lynn,

You are welcome.

Generally, I tend to go with easy themes (but it really depends on the rest of the meal). And, it usually is something along the lines of mild to stinky with one or two animal representations in each flavor profile. This usually means I pick about six cheeses.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:51 pm 

I love making cheese plates because they are easy and look good and the cheese people here are so helpful. I think I basically do what Amy does... I always try to do what Amy does. I like to have mild and stronger versions of each cheese type plus a blue of some sort. I don't usually pay attention to country although there are a couple places that have started importing English cheeses and it is some amazing stuff... I would gladly do a whole tray of that. I also like to serve things with the cheese. Chutney type things, dried fruit, nuts, mustard, fresh fruit, poached fruit. I also like some kind of bread. CI's pizza bianca is great alongside a cheese plate as are similar breads. The Swiss often serve a simple dinner of cheeses with these things plus small boiled potatoes. And cornichons, always cornichons.
This is a spread I made with a haul from France:

Mary

PS My cholesterol is fine but my butt... damn but I LOVE cheese though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:06 pm 

Looks delicious, Mary.
Fitzie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:11 pm 

That round one, back right... stunk up the whole house but tasted like a bit of heaven.

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:06 pm 

I lovelovelove cheese, and usually do a cheese plate with three cheeses. One creamy/buttery - I like Affinois, a blue of some sort, and a hard cheese. I've never thought about the animal themes - but will start to pay attention to that!!

I also like some icy cold grapes and olives with my cheese plate. I imagine this is not proper cheese protocol, but most people seem to like it.

What crackers or bread do you serve with your cheese? I really don't care for water crackers. I like a baguette type bread with my soft cheese, but that doesn't seem right with the blue and hard cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:28 pm 

I have taken my cue for cheese plates from all of the cocktail parties at hotels that I used to go to before I retired...while I am also not a fan of water crackers for most things, they seem to be the vehicle for most cheese plates, along with sliced baguettes, because they are flavorless....so I use them. I also noticed that chutneys (like Mary said) are really popular as well as assorted dried fruits, berries and nuts. They also mix in fresh fruit when available...pears, apples, and berries seem to be standard.
The other thing I noticed is that they usually have 3-5 cheeses on a platter and not much more. I think if you are doing a "tasting" you would want to follow Amy's advise ( I too, like to take Amy's advise, always) and select a theme, then label the cheeses and let your guests try something they might not normally try.
I have become addicted to a good creamy brie, topped with Laurie's red pepper jelly on baguette slices and a good blue cheese topped with fig jam on a flat bread cracker, but I don't think I would serve these as part of a "cheese plate". I just use either one as an hors d'ouevre if I have friends over for dinner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:52 pm 

Beautiful photo, good input, thanks.

Any creative thoughts on labeling?