Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cheese discussion / cheeseplate ideas?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:00 pm 

easy bake wrote:
Beautiful photo, good input, thanks.

Any creative thoughts on labeling?

This isn't terribly creative (OK not at all) but I like the wire "photo holders" with decorative bases found at Pier1.

Like these: linkety

Then I use one of those funky scrapbooking scissors to cut out a shape and hand write with a silver Sharpie.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:36 pm 

Darcie,

That's fabulous! Love it...must buy a few.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:44 am 
Site Admin

First: love mimmolette. Yum!

Second: cheese tasting blog: http://www.fuzzychef.org/archives/Wine, ... -2010.html

As for what to have with the cheese: it depends on the cheese. Certain kinds of bread/crackers are definitely better with certain kinds of cheese, as are certain compliments (honey, preserves, olive oil, vinegar, etc.). For example, with the cheeses that night I had a thin-sliced baguette (for the mozzarella and feta), home-made oat crackers (for the gervais and blue cheese), and a butter cracker assortment (for the others).

Personally, for a group which is not serious cheese-tasting foodies, it's better to just have a good variety of cheeses, to ensure that each person has at least one cheese they really like. For the hard core, you'll want to have comparison tastings, like all the different cheeses from one dairy, or several similar cheeses from different producers.

Labelling: if required (not in a small group), I recommend the little ceramic signs which you can write on and stick in the cheeses, and then wash off afterwards.
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Cheese-Mar ... B0042Z39PM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:20 am 

Couldn't you just toast thin slices of baguette if you don't like water crackers? Does anyone like water crackers?

Thanks for the link Darcie. I can do the wire work and the beading, but until I saw those, I couldn't figure out how to make bases. I suck with polymer clay, but even I can use a resin mold.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:17 am 

I like water crackers. I also like matzo. What I really like with cheese is Triscuits (the delicious whole wheat biscuit). Or bread. Nothing with too much taste. Bread sticks are also nice, I like to throw them all over the table. What else is nice is a fruit bread, yeasted or not. Or very black bread. Nut bread is good too. You could probably throw some cheese on a turd and I would happily eat it.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:13 am 

After a party a few years ago I had about of cup of bleu cheese left over. I mixed it with almost equal parts of soft butter and had it on water crackers with pears. I loved it.

I saw this somewhere and don't remember where but it's really nice. Cut circles out of puff pastry. Line up on a sheet pan and put another sheet pan on top. Bake until crispy. These are nice with cheese or you can put butter & parm on them and bake until a little brown and serve with soup. Actually you can do just about anything with these. I think it might have been Michel Richard that did this

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:11 pm 

Great links, blogs, ideas. Love those photo holders Darcie. Fuzzy, what a wonderful party.

THANK YOU. (opps, I capped.... :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

I like water crackers.

However, what Carr's has now which is really deadly good and also excellent with cheddar and other "strong" cheeses is: rosemary crackers. These are seriously great; after the cheese was gone we just finished the rest of the box.

http://www.carrscrackers.com/cgi-bin/br ... ompany=140

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:41 am 

How do you all store your cheeses? I have some cheese paper that I use for hard cheeses, I wrap soft cheeses in parchment, then put in a plastic container. I read somewhere that plastic wrap should never touch the cheese, and that made sense to me. My hard cheeses keep an amazingly long period of time. I also trim little bits of mold off the hard cheeses, but never the soft cheeses.

Fitzie, I love the idea of making crackers out of puff pastry. I'll be giving that a try soon. Thanks.