Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Charcuterie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:33 am 

Kathy Henry wrote:
One example - a beautiful prime rib that was just cooked to death. There was a dot of pink in the middle & she was thrilled -"it's perfect". I could barely choke it down.
Kathy :roll:

Kathy,

Is there a possibility that you enjoyed this meal in Parker, CO? I can even paraphrase the recipe.

Just put the rib roast in the oven using convection roast at 325F on convection and cook until the temp read 115 for the BEST rib roast and everyone will have their choice of how their meat is to be cooked.

I'll never forget posting on TOBB that this recipe was indeed perfect with one minor problem. You have to learn to cut spiral slices first around the outside for well-done slices, and then around the middle third for medium slices, then around the inner third for the medium rare slices. That inner core is for guests who like rare meat.

I just love making helpful suggestions to creative cooks.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:09 pm 

Just skiing down the slope.

Christmas dinner, T-Day menu has just been planned when Harold starts pestering me about Christmas(followed by New Year's, lol). Prime rib, Mom, please. Well, OK...but you know you wanted to invite your grandparents. All is cool, until I, just before Christmas, bring up the hurl factor...

gum snapping...."ya know, I have to make extra well done(read jerky) prime rib for them" heheh

"Mom, you can't"

gum snapping...."they'll pass out"

"Mom, no".

Giggles. "Well, okay, just watch".

I cut the rib, they were coming over and staring...transfixed horrified. I crank up the convection(snicker) heat, throw a 9x13 back in the oven for about 12 minutes while finishing up(ours is in warming drawer). Cooked the crap out of it.

No more gum snapping. Persistant pinkness. They were horrified, huddled, and afraid.

So, kinda of fits. Pink. Shoe.Jerky. psuedo charcuterie. 8-)

furthermore, if we ensnare Kurtgoogle we wouldn't have to worry about where anything was, now would we?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:13 pm 

Darcie wrote:
Kathy's Pete wrote:
The prosciutto is best cut extremely thin (like the tomatoes sliced by the guy at the county fair who's selling serrated knives) - almost see-thru thin - and served as part of a mixed charcuterie plate. Any thicker and it's kind of funky.

I used my kewl electric meat slicer to get it quite thin. Texture is excellent. Just has a bit of funky flavor (not rotten funky, just...funky). I'm convinced it was the breed of duck. I bought it at the Asian market and it only labeled "duck" so I don't know what breed. It was, and I hate to say this, an odd-looking duck. (Imagine me taking off my sunglasses when I say that). Anyway, it was kinda scrawny.

I am not too crazy about the Duck Prosciutto either.
I bought a sandwich the other day and I asked the owner if he would like to try the Duck Prosciutto that I made. He didn't look too thrilled when I told him I would bring him a sample.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:03 pm 

Darcie wrote:
Texture is excellent. Just has a bit of funky flavor (not rotten funky, just...funky). I'm convinced it was the breed of duck.

...Anyway, it was kinda scrawny.
We had magret breasts (did you recently get an email from D'Artagnan with a 25% discount for Charcutepalooza participants? Shop here, discount code is BRINEME); these have a significant fat layer under the skin (see my earlier photos). Downside is $11-13 for a 1-pound breast half, before any discount.

I think "funky" might be part of the characteristic flavor of anything basement-aged, no?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:00 pm 

Here is my bacon.
I am looking forward to making Corned beef for this months project.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:40 pm 

That bacon looks awesome, Todd!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:33 pm 

Darcie wrote:
That bacon looks awesome, Todd!

X2
Nice work! Call us and we will all come over for breakfast...or lunch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8