Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canning?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:50 pm 

Is anyone canning anything this summer? Even with A/C, I can't bring myself to fire up the canner or P/C. Tony wants me to make tomato bisque soup, but it's just toooooooo hot.

Anyone else? Am I the only sissy?

Post subject: Re: Canning?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:00 pm 

I was going to do Nanking cherry jelly, but the trees suffered some damage during high winds in the late spring. The trees are fine now, but they didn't produce more than a handful of fruit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:09 am 

Yesterday I made 16 pints of rasberry jam from fruit I have been picking all summer and freezing....and it was hot. Today I am going to make Lemon Verbenna jelly, then deal with the plums when they are ready. I also need to amke more of Laurie's red pepper jelly. thinking of canning some of Marcella Hazan's summer tomato sauce if I can get some good tomatoes at the Farmer's Market on Sunday. then I think I will put everything away for this year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:08 am 

I'm a sissy, but not just because it's hot. I still haven't jumped onto the canning wagon. I'm still intimidated but am dying to get over it. I've read books, blogs, followed trials and tribulations of you all here and TOB, but...

Just.not.yet :oops:

Nancy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:10 pm 

Nancy - If I can figure it out, you know how easy it must be....try going here http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/new_products/258.php and if you pm me, I'll send you coupons.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:14 am 
Site Admin

Nancy,

Jarring stuff is easy. don't get intimidated.

Not that I've made anything this year other than lemon curd.

Supposedly the FDA is now freaking out about hot water bath processing for home canning. Anyone know any thing about this?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:56 am 

Nancy, try preseving fruit, jams, jellies, etc. It's the easiest way to start. Do a small batch first. You'll be so pleased with the results that you'll be encouraged to do more.
Fitzie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:47 pm 

I'm canning tomato's as I type. 2 big pots simmering on the stove. I scored some lovely roma's at the farmers market yesterday.
Last week I did a dozen 1/2 pints of salsa and the week before 2 half gallon containers of sweet pickles. I still need to do pepper jelly, since I give so much away. I have enough of all other jams left from last year.

Laurie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Laurie,

You know that tomatoes are supposed to be pressure canned, yes? Apparently they are a low-acid food, which means jarring them at a higher temperature.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:18 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Laurie,

You know that tomatoes are supposed to be pressure canned, yes? Apparently they are a low-acid food, which means jarring them at a higher temperature.

I'm not sure that is true. It is my understanding that many varieties of tomatoes have sufficient acid to water bath can (at least according to the guidelines when I started canning some years back - they keep changing the rules). Cherry, yellow, grape and some heirloom tomatoes do NOT have enough acid so they should be pressure canned.

I've canned roma tomatoes for years using water bath canning with no problems. If the FDA says to use a pressure canner now, I'm SOL. But my tomato plants didn't produce enough so I don't have to worry about it this year.

Edited to add:
My guess is the FDA guidelines go beyond the pale to address the shortcuts that people feel inclined to take. For example, many dishwashers now have a "sanitize" setting. Although the instruction manual instructs you NOT to use this in lieu of boiling jars and lids for canning, I've read of people doing it anyway. And I know folks who tinker with the recipes, don't sterilize the lids, put the jars upside down, and a host of other things that increase the chances of food poisoning. Therefore, the FDA says use a pressure canner because it will compensate for a lot of lax behavior.