Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ball Pickle Crisp
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:07 pm 

My canning repertoire is pretty slim -- bread/butter pickles, marinara, salsa, chicken broth and the occasional apple butter or jam. But the pickles are a big deal to me because I use them throughout the year whenever I need relish or chopped sweet pickles, along with eating them on their own of course. Up until this year, I always did the pickling salt/ice routine that's a PITA. And someones they still didn't end up crisp enough.

So when I happened to notice a jar of Ball Pickle Crisp granules at the grocery store, and then saw good reviews on them at Amazon, I figured I'd give them a try. And holy cow -- what a great product. The pickles are really crisp and it's soooo much easier than the weighed-down ice routine. All you do is put 1/8 t. (pint) or 1/4 t. (quart) in each jar before you fill it.

Of course on the batch I canned last night, I forgot the granules until I'd just set all the jars into the canner. So I got to take them all out and take the lids off and go through the routine again. But then that's typical me. The pickles are great though!

Emilie

Post subject: Re: Ball Pickle Crisp
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:30 am 

It is really good in giardiniera, too!

--Lisa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:38 pm 

Google tells me that Pickle Crisp is calcium chloride. I don't know if it's cheaper or easily obtained elsewhere.

EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/WillPowder-Calciu ... B00250TODW
1 lb for $15.08 vs 5 oz for $8 or $10.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:31 am 

Cooking Issues recently did some bits on crisping, and calcium chloride. His general conclusion was that calcium chloride was the cheapest and easiest way to get calcium into something (and thus improve its firmness), but that it tasted awful, but that used in small concentrations (which it normally is) and in dishes where the bitter flavour will be masked (pickles!), it works great. There were other options, but all more involved.

I've used it mine, putting it in 1/2 the bottles from the same batch, and it made a significant difference.