Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What the heck is VacuVita?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

So, the VacuVita is the latest surprisingly successful Kickstarterish food gadget thing. Thing is, I've dug through their site and their video etc., and I can't figure out what it actually does. It's some kind of vacuum chamber, which is somehow supposed to preserve food at room temperature "because vacuums". Yet folks have given them $1.1m start factory production of this kitchen obelisk. Can any of you figure this out? http://www.vacuvita.com

Post subject: Re: What the heck is VacuVita?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:09 am 

It is a food saver without the bags, hence the "sustainable" part I think. You buy the containers and put the food in it. The vacuum is built into the boxes, and it appears to work automatically (got this from the How it Works section. They appear to be big, so I don't think they will be as useful as the food saver bags.

Post subject: Re: What the heck is VacuVita?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:23 am 

What Alina said. Same kind of functionality (in terms of food preservation) as http://www.foodsaver.com/accessories/T0 ... ml#start=5 . Having the vacuum built into the container is a bit silly, IMO, since most things you vac seal will still go in the fridge freezer or -- for a few things like nuts and chips -- the cupboard. I think there is very little call for a vacuum canister on your counter. What would you very regularly get that can sit on the counter?

BTW, I don't think the are claiming to preserve food at room temps that would not otherwise be OK at room temps... they are saying it is for use at room temps cause you can't put the unit in the freezer or fridge (but can buy extra canisters that can). If they were claiming that, then the entire purchase price would be used up (and then some...) in liability insurance....