Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Peameal Bacon
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:27 pm 

From 1971 - 1977 I lived in Southern Ontario. One of my favorite local foods was peameal bacon. For those who haven't tried it, "Canadian Bacon" is an American cured & smoked ham, not the same as peameal back bacon. Things may be very different than they were 40 years ago, but I don't think I ever saw American Canadian Bacon in the grocery when I lived there.

For 40 years I have tried unsuccessfully to find it here. One might think that with all the Canadian retirees that winter on the Gulf Coast of Florida, someone would carry this fabulous Canadian meat. But no. No one here has ever heard of it, and they will actually insist that a small round ham is Canadian. :roll:

So.............I found Michael Ruhlman's recipe for curing peameal bacon, and decided to try it. http://ruhlman.com/2011/02/canadian-bacon-brining-basics/ I bought a very small (1 1/2 pounds) piece of loin (just in case it didn't work). My 40 year old memory tells me that it didn't have all the herbal notes from the sage, bay leaf, & thyme. I also don't recall a strong garlic flavor. So I chickened out and cut way back on the herbs. I skipped the lemon. I smashed one clove of garlic into the brine, left it in a while, then removed it. My smell memory just didn't think they belonged.

This morning, we had Eggs Benedict with farm fresh eggs and my new peameal bacon. We both really liked it, but now I have to ask a question of our Canadian friends. It's been so long................I need you all to refresh or correct my perception. Do you pick up the flavors of bay, sage, thyme, garlic & lemon in peameal bacon? Help! SHould I trust Rulhman? Or my memory?

Post subject: Re: Peameal Bacon
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:13 pm 

Wow...eagerly awaiting input on this question...

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:02 pm 

one of the comments to the blog post does say
Quote:
I am a firm believer that when trying a new product that you work from the roots up. So a first attempt at peameal would be the basic brine, no aromatics as they were never available to the original settlers of Ontario and the early explorers who used the ability to cure the meat as a way to transport it safely across country (although it was mainly a dry salt cure they used, with saltpeter).

I love the raw meaty flavour of original peameal, I also love the flavours we currently use in our own which include cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves.
So I believe you're correct about the lack of seasoning in the authentic product. This is my (American) Canadian bacon recipe and it definitely carries the herbal flavor (particularly thyme) when made as written.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:30 pm 

Sage, we have peameal a LOT and I never pick up those flavours. I wonder if it can be shipped? I'm going to Cleveland in January and could ship if you'd like.

For those looking for a picture reference, this is the brand I buy: http://elitemeat.ca/peameal-bacon-2/

This is made by a family run business owned by a friend's husband. It is by far the best peameal we've ever had. I will ask my friend if they ship anywhere in the US.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:39 am 

Jean, Is there a place in Cleveland to get some of this? I would like to try it. I am embarrassed to say I never have been to that really great West Side Market that everyone talks about even though we are only 2 hours away in Toledo. :shock: I am usually with DH and we are by the lake looking for birds. I think we may go today to look for Snowy Owl's and I will make him stop there!
Thanks, Karen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:47 am 

Karen,
Even if they don't have pea meal bacon, that market is worth a visit. I go whenever I visit my brother. It is a treat.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:56 am 

I second Jean. There are no herbal notes to pea meal bacon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:10 am 

Karen, I don't know. What I meant to say was that I'm travelling to Cleveland from southern Ontario for a hockey tournament in January and can take it over the border. Although the kind I buy from Elite is sliced and frozen in layers, so the box is quite big and I'm thinking the shipping of a large frozen box may be exorbitant.

Just gives all of you a reason to come visit Canada! ;-)

Mary, will bump that Cleveland thread, I now know our hotel.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:02 am 

Jean, I love Canada! We are trying to put something together for a visit to Churchill....
Looks like there are 7 restaurants there.

Karen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:15 am 

Jaxallie, the only things I know about Churchill is that they have a grain elevator (a cousin worked there for a few years) and that there is/was a camp that studied the Snow Goose as a university friend went there each summer and said that they didn't bathe for months in order to keep the blackfly/mosquitos away. :shock:
I'm in the much warmer Toronto area, only 5 hours from Cleveland.