Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Do I need a pressure canner?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:41 am 

I pressure canned some marinara sauce over the weekend and and just wanted to say THANKS!! to whoever suggested getting a pressure regulator weight when I posted a while back about possibly getting a pressure canner. That might be the best $10 I ever spent -- It's amazing how much easier it makes the process. The first thing I pressure canned was chicken stock, and while that turned out fine, staying around the stove and watching the pressure was time consuming (especially because I have a smooth cooktop so adjusting the heat isn't very precise). With the regulator, I can just set the timer and walk away. In fact now I actually think that pressure canning is easier than using a water bath, since from what I've read the jars don't have to be sterilized with pressure canning.

Also, just in case anyone needs any Mason jars for canning this summer, I found that Ace Hardware (online) basically carries every jar size, etc., and their prices are the most inexpensive I've seen. Also if you have it shipped to a store there's no shipping cost. And there are promo codes available online too -- I saved $15 off my order total. I got mostly wide-mouth jars because that way I can use them also with my Foodsaver attachment (another great "preservation" tip I learned from this board recently :) ).

Emilie