Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheese Paper results
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

So, I bought some special "cheese paper" a few months ago and have been using it to wrap cheese in the fridge.

http://www.thebeveragepeople.com/product816.html

The stuff works very well on hard cheeses ... as far as I can tell, parmigiano/pecorino/etc. will keep pretty much forever wrapped in cheese paper. It also worked fairly well for aging a homemade soft cheese. For store-bought semisoft cheeses, though, wrapping in cheese paper doesn't seem to work much better than parchment+plastic, which was my old method.

Anyone else use this? How'd it turn out for you?

Post subject: Re: Cheese Paper results
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:06 am 

I use a little hand held vacuum sealer for wrapping all of my cheese. While it does require using plastic bags made for the device, cheese keeps forever. I think I bought it at Target and get replacement bags there as well. It was under $50. and I think was a bargain....I hardly have to throw cheese out and the bags come in two sizes and can be reused after washing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 am 

I kept a wedge of ricotta salata wrapped in plastic then food savered in the fridge for a year. (DH always has our cleaning person do the extra fridge when I am gone, so it got move and pushed out of sight.) Anyway, I was surprised that it was still in perfect shape when I found it. I thought I'd taken a small piece and done the same but froze it to see how it held, but can't find that one. I won't bother taking everything out until I return from Boston, DH will move stuff while I am gone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:56 am 

Fuzzy-great price on the cheese paper. The stuff I buy at SLT is $10 for 12 sheets, although they're a bit larger and come with labels (which I rarely use). I just wrapped a log of goat cheese in it so we'll see how long that lasts. I am hoping for a week.

CI did a test and found that waxed or parchment paper loosely wrapped with aluminum foil worked better than plastic wrap, and that cheese paper only extended cheese life by a few days.

It's really hard to beat the foodsaver method for storing cheese though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Well, first we'd need a foodsaver that worked. The one we got for our wedding died after 6 months, and I've been reluctant to buy a new one if they're made so poorly.

Anyway, the food saver method works for cheese you're not going to use for a while. But the cheese paper is excellent for cheese you're going to take out, grate some of, and then put back away.