Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preseving Sugar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:14 pm 

I'm about to tackle some raspberry jam, but was reading about using "Preserving Sugar".

My understanding is it's a larger sugar crystal used for jellies and jams. The idea is that the bigger crystals reduces the air and contaminants that causes scum and other impurities. Jams and jellies made with preserving sugars are very CLEAR and more transparent because of the reduced impurities. There are other characteristics, but I was wondering if I could concoct a functional substitute using regular granulated sugar, but achieve the desired result of preserving sugar.

Can I pre-make a preserving syrup using granulated sugar and use that for the jam?

Post subject: Re: Preseving Sugar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am 

I've put up a lot of jelly/preserves and never heard of preserving sugar. I just use regular granulated (usually cane but I've used beet sugar too). I've never worried about the end result being clear. And I guess I've never noticed much scum - maybe just a touch that I skimmed off (which I attributed to residual dirt, etc. on the fruit, not anything that came from the air).

I'm skeptical that using regular granulated sugar really adds that much air and/or impurities. But I have been wrong once (maybe twice, even). If you want to use a syrup, I think you could, but it will take longer to cook out the extra liquid. Longer cooking may change the flavor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:45 am 

Here in Switzerland there are special sugars for preserving but they contain a gelling agent. That is the only kind of preserving sugar I have heard of.

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:58 am 

Honestly, I can't find any descriptions of this product that don't sound like ad copy and I can only find one company making it. I have quite a few books on preserves and they all say that plain old white cane sugar is best for jellies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:36 pm 

All, I'm somewhat glad to hear preserving sugar are mostly unknown.
I ran across it by reading a jam recipe that called for it, so I looked it up. Some referencing links from a fairly quick look are below.
Anyway there doesn't seem to be enough substantial argument to cause me to change direction, so I'll ignore it. I don't do jams too often, but the ones in the past tasted fine. I an intrigued about getting the really clear transparency, I'd think that would be a MUST for anyone who enters competitions.

Just wondering if I was about to make a serious blunder (. . . again).

PRESERVING SUGAR INFO
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preserving_sugar
Squidoo: http://www.squidoo.com/jam-preserves

One of a few recipes that call for preserving sugar;
http://www.allaboutyou.com/food/recipef ... ecipe-8498

From Squidoo:
    SUGAR - There are two types of sugar that are best for making jam, the first is 'Jam Sugar' which has added Pectin and is used with fruits that are low in natural Pectin. It's designed to dissolve slowly thanks to the crystals being larger than ordinary sugar which means that you don't have to stir the jam as often and that it's less likely to burn.

The second type of sugar is 'Preserving sugar'. Preserving sugar is used with fruits high in natural Pectin. The sugar crystals are bigger than normal, household sugar and so dissolve slowly and give a clearer jam than you'd achieve if you used ordinary sugar.
    Both Jam Sugar and Preserving Sugar are available in most supermarkets and are made by manufacturers such as Silver Spoon and Whitworths.