Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Smokers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:13 am 

I had a Bradley before I got my Primo,it was "ok" temp regulation was an issue, I gave it to my brother, the conveyor part went out on him. He ordered a new one. he seems to like it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:36 am 

I had heard that temperature regulation was a problem with the Bradley from my neighbour who had one. Since its cold here spring and fall, maintaining heat seemed to be the biggest issue.

DH thought the Masterbuilt ones were built better with more insulation. The door latch seemed like a good idea too. Of course, now that we've moved into yet another new build house, I may be doing whatever I can in the garage again for most of the summer until we do landscaping 2.0. My hope is that an electric version that's well insulated might do ok in there if I left the door open. Maybe I'm deluding myself since my weber is a NG version that will be in storage until a deck is built.

Edit: DH says he liked the Cabellas version best. It also looked fairly solidly built.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:45 pm 

Pretty funny -- this thread was originally posted Sat Feb 14, 2009.
I guess you just can't let a great topic die.
Of coarse, I'm fairly new here - less than a week, so to me the thread is a few days fresh!

First thing I'd recommend is to put some serious effort in learning about smoking and grilling.
Consider what kind of product you'd be likely to enjoy and go to a high end BBQ store to talk to some experts. Don't feel obligated to buy anything from them, just ask and learn.

There are varying degrees of smokiness when it comes to the result. Much like cooking with garlic, you can easily overwhelm the meat to the point that it's ruined with too much flavor. There are a couple ways to implement the smoke -- but that's kind of for later. For now consider what you want from your next acquisition. You can opt for just a smoker, or get a gas grill and learn how to make the aluminum envelop to create smoke, or get a duo burner (gas on one side, charcoal on the other), the Weber charcoal only, know about direct and indirect heat, and it goes on and on. It's an opportunity to specialize in just smoke, or have the unit multitask.

Above all, BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF. Admit to yourself what you desire and go from there. Don't let anyone talk you into getting something that isn't going to meet your needs. If you like some things light, and other stuff really heavy, there are products out there that will accommodate your tastes -- but it takes some skills as well.