Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Duck confit - legs only?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:47 am 

I have two duck legs left over from the charcuterie project, so of course I need to confit them (I sheepishly admit I've never done this before.) I also have wing drummettes. My question is, can I confit those too? I don't see why not, but perhaps there is a reason since the recipes I've read all talk about legs only.

Post subject: Re: Duck confit - legs only?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:06 am 

I can't imagine why not, but what do I know? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:07 am 

Darcie,

There are a lot of point-of-views in this world about whether you can confit other parts of a duck. Some will tell you it absolutely can be done, others will tell you that only the legs are suitable, and the breasts (as an example) will be tough and chewy done this way.

I say go for it, and see if you like the results.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:08 am 

Darcie,

You definitely can confit duck breast. The only problem with wings is the low volume of meat. I agree with Amy; go for it.

I have had great success with the confit recipe that Kenji Alt developed for Cook's Illustrated. Processing the aromatics adds to the flavor and the cooking method is fairly precise and works.

I have also included some excellent storage instructions from Paula Wolfert.

Tim

Kenji Alt’s Duck Confit
    Makes 6 legs

The cooked confit, covered with fat, will last up to one month. Three turkey drumsticks can be substituted for the duck legs. We prefer this recipe prepared with duck fat, but canola oil can be substituted.

1/4 cup table salt
    1 large onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
    6 medium garlic cloves
    2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
    12 parsley stems, with leaves attached
    2 bay leaves
    6 duck legs (see note)
    4 cups duck fat (see note)

1. Process salt, onion, garlic, peppercorns, parsley, and bay leaves in food processor until uniform paste with some small chunks is formed about 30 seconds, scraping down side of bowl as necessary. Massage duck legs with salt mixture and place in gallon-sized zipper-lock bag. Press out air, seal bag and place in refrigerator for 12 to 18 hours.

2. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 250-300 degrees. Rinse duck legs under cold running water, rubbing off any salt mixture. Pat legs dry with paper towels. Heat duck fat in large saucepan over medium heat until completely transparent (if using canola oil it should register about 135 degrees on instant-read thermometer) . Add duck legs, making sure they are completely submerged in fat. Transfer pot to oven and cook until meat offers no resistance when poked with fork, 3 to 4 hours.

3. Remove pot from oven and allow legs to cool in fat for 30 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer legs to sealable container and cover with fat; cool to room temperature, about 3 hours. Cover and refrigerate. Duck Confit will last up to one month.

Confit Storage from "The Cooking of Southwest France"

1While duck is cooling, set out widemouth jars or crocks to hold the legs. Pour boiling water in each and pour out. Dry jars with a clean towel. Place ½ teaspoon salt in the bottom of each container; this prevents the meat juices that may seep from the duck during ripening from turning sour.

2. Carefully transfer the duck to the containers

3. Carefully ladle the fat, through a fine mesh strainer onto the duck to cover. Allow 1 inch of air space at the top of each container. Don not include the cloudy fat, or duck juices at the bottom of the pot. Cool the containers, uncovered, to room temperature. Refrigerate.

4. For long-term storage, spoon one inch of melted lard over the surface of the solid duck fat. This lard is impenetrable to air, and protects against spoilage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:37 am 

That salt at the bottom of the jar sounds like an excellent tip. I will try that next time I have enough fat from roasting that I want to save it. No matter how hard I try, I always get that little drop of meat juice in the bottom.