Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Do you have a "mixed marriage"?
Poll ended at Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:44 pm
Yes, my spouse and I don't agree about meat/carbs/seafood/treif 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Yes, my live-in son/daughter doesn't eat meat/carbs/pork/cilantro 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
I'm the odd one out. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, we all eat the same things here. Or else! 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Mixed marriages?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Folks,

This post by Kate made me thing of something: how many of you are in "mixed" marriages or families where one person at your home eats a very different diet from everyone else? How do you respond to this?

http://www.katecooksthebooks.com/uncate ... -casserole

Oh, and answer survey.

Post subject: Re: Mixed marriages?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:02 am 

I need to vote for both the first and the last option.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:57 am 

Having roommates I get both ends-I can cook what I want, but I can't expect the guys to like it. They eat few vegetables, won't go near coconut based curries, one is a very picky eater in general (loves a pound of plain steamed tofu w/ soy sauce as dinner) and so on. We do all like things like grilled chops, slabs-o-beef, roast chicken and so on.

Last edited by BeckyH on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:46 pm 

I have one fussy person here. My No. 1 Daughter was ill a lot as a young child and every time she got sick she ate less. In the beginning I just made her something else but then comes my Buddha Baby who eats anything and everything and SHE says, "hey, why can't I have something different too". I gave myself a hard smack on the head and cut out that nonsense. I just made sure there was something she ate on the table (noodles, dear?) and ignored what she didn't. She has improved greatly. I had to train my husband to eat spicy food but he was a willing victim. There are some things he says he doesn't like but I have noticed that he only dislikes them when he knows they are there. The things I don't like are not prepared and I doubt this will change as long as I am doing the cooking. You live, you learn.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:01 pm 

My husband's first wife was a terrible cook. This made it both easier and harder for me, since he was afraid to try new things due to the "fear factor" induced by her, but was also pretty easy to impress him. Once I had a decent set of cooking skills (I wasn't horrible when we first got together 17 years(!) ago, but I wasn't great either), he was willing to try new things, and now he is probably more adventurous than me. There are really only three things he doesn't like: artichokes, cabbage and sauerkraut. The only thing I really don't like is liver. That leaves it pretty wide open.

When my parents visit, that is another story. My dad is a picky, picky eater. He wants beef and potatoes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Folks,

Well, as you know Kris eats meat and I try to avoid it. However, I eat anything which is not meat (or insects) whereas she has a long list of dislikes, including spicy food. We manage, but some cuisines are prohibited due to 100% exclusion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:58 am 

I cook it, they eat it. End of story. I did live with a boyfriend for awhile who was a vegetarian. I cooked vegetarian meals (mostly Indian, because I was emphatically not into TVP), but when we ate out, I had meat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:28 pm 

I have not really found it to be a problem to have a child who is a vegetarian (and we are not). For most meals, she just eats the starch and the veg and I do not make anything different or extra for her. Sometimes she will "supplement" with a yogurt or a piece of fruit.

On the other hand, the kid eats a lot more chicken broth than she realizes!

My husband is not a huge red meat fan and we try to eat meatless meals at least 2x/week. It's not hard because we both are pretty open to most foods. The only thing he doesn't like (that I don't understand) is ribs. So that's what I usually want on my birthday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:28 am 

We have similar tastes in food (to some extent), so it's usually not a problem. He doesn't like some things I love, e.g., eggplant, zucchini, cooked spinach, so I make those only occasionally, and he picks around them. But, he's pretty easy to please, albeit, very spoiled.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:01 am 

Hubby eats what ever I put out there. About the only things he isn't wild about are braised cabbage, spinich and the Thai Curry I made last week. He commented this was the first time in a long while he'd have prefered a PB&J! On the other hand he loves salmon and I do not. It is just to darn fishy for me. I make it for him about once a year or he eats it out, if he really has a hankering.

One other thing is potato's, he can take them or leave them....what's up with that? :?: :?: I love potato's. He will take the smallest spud and then cut it in half.

Laurie