Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Craptastic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:22 am 

In the 70s my parents liked an appetizer that involved cocktail weenies (or sliced hot dogs), red current jelly and a chafing dish.

I once read that as a child Bill Cosby liked to make pancakes & waffles with odd food coloring added, so for awhile when I was around 11 I needed to make purple pancakes when I made pancakes.

Peanut butter and mustard sandwiches on Wonder bread.

There's a chili frito pie recipe that I like - it's sort of a dump & stir recipe without the stirring. But I suppose it's pretty much a standard chili frito pie recipe.

Sorry - nothing stranger comes to mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:41 pm 

Fuzzy, you have unleashed a monster. I sent my brother-the-writer and his critique group the link you supplied. They loved it. Following is one author's experience:

Guess what we're having tonight?

Yes, inspired by all the commotion I searched the cabinet and refrigerator and came up with Cheetos (the crunchy kind) mozzarella cheese (real kind) and Monterrey jack (also real) and Lil' smokies. (Hillshire Farm) and Wolf brand, yes-it-pours-from-the-can, chili with no beans.

I have never done this or tasted it before. And the fact that I'm using Cheetos which I think will melt to cheesy-buttery nothingness might be interesting. I hope the family unit survives. I can hear it now- "You fixed what?????"

THE NEXT DAY: The casserole tasted great. The Cheetos came out surprisingly chewy. The problem was that the real cheese with the lil' smokies left too much fat sitting in the food. The grease ruined the casserole as far as seconds were concerned but a good dent was made in it with first. Now we must all go work out the fat calories.

And so the snowball to hell starts.

By the way, why don't we cooks have weekly critique groups???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
By the way, why don't we cooks have weekly critique groups???

I believe that's called "family".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:14 am 

When my kids were young, somebody served them a dish composed of a can of chili with beans, a can of FrancoAmerican spaghetti with cheese, a 39Cent sack of Fritos and a handful of grated cheddar, all stirred up together and baked. They loved it. It was gagamous. They asked for it all the time. I would tell them the store was out of the Franco American. They even asked for it on their birthdays.
Fitzie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:20 pm 

Hmmm, I've made some pretty craptastic things, but I've blocked many of them out of my memory. Here's what I remember from my childhood/early adulthood:

"Jungle Juice" - Mad Dog 20/20, fruit juice(s), chopped fruit, maybe vodka or Everclear if we really wanted to be sick--er, have a good time.
"North Dakota pasta" - elbow macaroni and ketchup
"lasagna" made with spaghetti sauce from a packet (mix w/water & tomato paste), plain ground beef, curly lasagna noodles and cottage cheese. (Hey, my family was German, gimme a break)
Dozens of "hotdishes" made with canned cream of mushroom/celery/chicken/crap, elbow macaroni and plain ground beef (heavens forfend we would use any of the decades-old spices in tin cans in the cabinet)
Lots of "salads" that involved various colors of Jello with fruits/cottage cheese/other stuff suspended in it.
CI's Chicken and Rice casserole from Cover and Bake :o I've had much, much better food in Lutheran church basements. Really.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:12 pm 

We Lutherans do know how to cook.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:14 pm 

You guys reminded me of something we did on boats:

Mix one can of chili in with Velveeta cheese, microwave or heat on gas stovetop. Stir well. Do not wash your hands before eating. Serve with chips and dramamine while breathing diesel fumes. Wipe messy hands on pants. Mmmmmm.