Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has Living Cookbook gone MIA?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:21 am 

Does anyone know (Alina, I'm looking at you) if Living Cookbook is still around?

Their software is now being sold on Amazon, but I can't seem to rustle up an answer to a pricing question from Lee or anyone associated with their website. They just don't answer emails. Now that the forum is gone, is there any place to go for assistance/answers? Are they still maintaining the software? Or is 2015 the last version ever? Should we assume that the tablet/mobile app is not going to happen?

I got a second laptop, and I wanted another copy so that I could run it on both, but I can't get the multiple copy pricing through Amazon. Now, I'm not sure if this just means it's time to look for new software..............

Post subject: Re: Has Living Cookbook gone MIA?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:51 am 

You can buy it directly from Radium Technologies here. They do have packages for getting more than one license, but I don't know how that applies to getting an extra license after the initial purchase. 2015 is the latest edition, but they are still upgrading it, so I don't think they've gone anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:09 pm 

Thanks, JB. But my problem isn't where to buy it - it's getting an answer from Lee Grainger.

I have sent a couple emails asking about the pricing for a second copy (which he always used to do if you bought it directly from his Radium Tech site), and I can't seem to get an answer. So I checked Amazon, and the reviews for the last 6 months or so are horrible on customer service/response. It seems no one can get any response, either to purchase or for tech help. The reviews for thier customer service & support used to be great; now they're in the toilet. He discontinued the forum a few months back, so that source is no longer available. There is also still no word on whether he plans to develop a mobile app.

I don't want to throw money at it if he has moved on to other things, and it sounds like that might be the case. Since several people here used it, I thought maybe someone had info on what's happening. I've always liked LC, have used it since 2008, but if Lee is not going to offer any more support, I'm not going to spend any more money on it - I'll start looking for something that I can use across platforms.

Before he discontinued the forum, there was a group trying to develop an alternative site for a support forum - I think Alina may have been part of that group.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:03 pm 

Personally, I'm considering switching to Paprika. I like it for my iPad and it would be easier to just have it on my desktop too. If LC isn't going to bother with mobile app, and it increasingly appears that they won't, I can't see continuing with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:35 pm 

I don't know more than anyone else. I can tell you that the mobile app has been off the table for some time. Instead LC was going for a web based app that would allow you to access your LC recipes from any medium. They started with LC 2015 and the ability to sync via web. That function was still working the last time I tried it. My desktop is old and very slow in comparison with my laptop with the solid state main drive, so I find it frustrating and don't use it much, so no need to sync. I've not seen new versions since 5.0.89 which was early last year. There is a forum for LC support but I've not used it in the last year.

I think something happened since there have been no updates to the other Radium products either. Later this year will tell since testing should start for 2017 if they are still going. I used Paprika a long time ago but did not like it. However, it was when it was brand new. I loved HotPot, but it looks as if they aren't around either. Sorry I can't help more.

BTW, related to this is that RecipeFox, which is what I still use daily to get recipes into LC is having problem with Firefox. The latest Firefox version 44+ does not allow RF to function. RF is working on alternatives, but in the meantime, I've not updated to FF 44.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:40 pm 

I use paprika every day, on three different desktops/laptops, 2 iPads and a phone. Recipe apps are fairly personal, so whether it works for you is always an open question, but I love it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:03 am 

Wow, I've been totally in the dark with all this. I've continued using it happily just hoping for the day when I can access it from my iPad; I guess that's not going to happen which is really disappointing, for me that was the only missing element.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:39 am 

I downloaded the Paprika trial and remembered why I did not like it. It combines recipe types with cookbook chapters and does not transfer the cookbook, chapter, subchapter schema. It also does not download ingredients.

Since I have lots of room on my iPad, I'll probably buy it case Hot Pot stops working, but I'll continue to use LC to catalog recipes, nutrition, ingredient prices etc. There really isn't anything that is as robust as LC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:45 pm 

Ah, I don't really organize my recipes, so never ran into that. Yeah, it doesn't have much in the way of tools for organization.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:29 am 

I gave up waiting for living cookbook to release an app and so I bought paprika for all my Apple Devices. Of course, not perfect but very convenient, especially in the grocery store since I always have my iPhone with me. It took some energy getting my favorite standby recipes loaded but for new ones, snagging recipes on the web is super easy.