Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Year With Chris Kimball (blog)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:15 pm 

jeanf wrote:
I am grateful to have found CI when I did, back in 2004 or so. I was struggling as a cook (my mom never uses recipes and although what she makes is great, it's not my style of food for every day life) and found the science explanations behind the CI recipes invaluable to help me learn why things did or didn't work. CI and Canadian Living (who had their own program on the Canadian food network) became my go to sources for "bullet proof" recipes.
Like Carey, there are quite a few CI recipes that are in regular rotation at our house, I just made the old fashioned pot roast and glazed carrots on Sunday and am making the drop biscuits tonight to have with the leftovers; the pan seared chicken breasts with vermouth/sage sauce and French chicken in a pot are my kids' favourite chicken dishes and the beef tacos are a mainstay, as are many other recipes. Having said that, I rarely buy the magazine any more since I don't need more/better versions of what we like already and what works for me. I will buy the annuals if I find them cheapish as I like to have them for the few recipes a year that I find intriguing, but it's not necessary anymore. Conversely I still subscribe to Canadian Living magazine, even though they too repeat things over time. The difference, for me at least, is that CL offers articles that I find interesting and the recipes are generally created with efficiency in mind, they really know their target demographic. So even if it's a new chicken recipe, it's not going to take me all weekend and it's going to deliver on it's promise, and I likely won't even need to grocery shop for any non-standard ingredients.
And let's face it, if it wasn't for CI we wouldn't have all met. And I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Yup...agree totally...I miss what it was but have no use for what it now is. And now we know what an ego, red sports car, and a trophy bride can do... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 pm 

Note to self: "Cancel the red sports car..."

:lol: :o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:03 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:

Yup...agree totally...I miss what it was but have no use for what it now is. And now we know what an ego, red sports car, and a trophy bride can do... :roll:

Wow, when you put it that way, I'm sure he rues the day he traded in a bunch of contentious old cooks for all that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:04 pm 

JesBelle wrote:
Da Bull Man wrote:

Wow, when you put it that way, I'm sure he rues the day he traded in a bunch of contentious old cooks for all that.

Hmmm...good point... :lol: (said the guy living in the hormone Hilton)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:06 pm 

jim262 wrote:
cmd2012 wrote:

I really liked the Caldo Verde soup, but it is only as good as the sausage. My sausage left a bit to be desired but it should be fairly easy to find a better tasting one.

Jim,

The sausage is the most important ingredient in Caldo Verde. I am constantly on the lookout for sausage. Your best bet is an ethnic neighborhood like, Portuguese (Chourico), Spanish (smoked and dried Basque Chourizo), Hungarian (Fresh Gyulai) or Brazilian (Paio).

You can always order Courico from Gaspar's in Massachusetts.

This stuff can be very difficult to find. Good luck,

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:41 pm 

Good to know about the sausage. I might have to do some sleuthing around some of the more prominent sausage shops in town. We are prominently a Polish, Ukranian, and Italian sausage town though, so it might be a challenge to find something suitable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:43 pm 

cmd2012 wrote:
Good to know about the sausage. I might have to do some sleuthing around some of the more prominent sausage shops in town. We are prominently a Polish, Ukranian, and Italian sausage town though, so it might be a challenge to find something suitable.

Just another reason to come visit me....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:52 am 

I made the twice baked sweet potatoes last night (yes, I know, I shouldn't keep subscribing, but I find one good thing in each issue and I keep believing that it will get better). We quite enjoyed them - the egg did make the stuffing almost quiche-like. They will repeat in our house.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:03 am 

ldkelley wrote:
I made the twice baked sweet potatoes last night (yes, I know, I shouldn't keep subscribing, but I find one good thing in each issue and I keep believing that it will get better). We quite enjoyed them - the egg did make the stuffing almost quiche-like. They will repeat in our house.

--Lisa

Thanks for mentioning that recipe, Lisa. I used to subscribe to CC, CI, and a few others, but as they accumulated beyond my kitchen shelf capacity, several years ago I let them expire and since then have been going to B&N every month or so. I get a Pepsi and a stuffed pretzel, and peruse the latest issues. It's a nice respite and that way I can see if it's an issue I might want to buy, or if I want to just "test" a recipe by taking a pic of it with my phone. ;) I think that'll be the case with that sweet potato recipe. It sounds yummy!

Emilie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:27 am 

Emilie wrote:
It's a nice respite and that way I can see if it's an issue I might want to buy, or if I want to just "test" a recipe by taking a pic of it with my phone. ;) I think that'll be the case with that sweet potato recipe. It sounds yummy!

Emilie

Aren't you the clever one. I am going to remember that next time I am looking at a CI or CC magazine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next