Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need a website
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:24 am 

And, I don't have a lot of money to spend...

The economy is picking up and catering opportunities are growing here. I've gotten so much positive feedback about the events I've done recently I really want to start some heavy promoting.

Any of you have recommendations?

Amy

Post subject: Re: I need a website
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:30 am 

Amy
My daughter made one for herself using Pixpa. She said it was quite easy and I think you would need something similar. http://www.hannahsimone.net/#/about/bio

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:40 am 

I've used squarespace (squarespace.com) lots of times for several sites and have been fairly pleased. They have a free trial, and can take care of domain registration, etc. if you want.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am 

GoDaddy (overlooking its offensive commercials) is cheap and good - that's what I use for my business. You can also get a specialized email with the site address, register your domain and do other things.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:43 am 

My brother-in-law did one for my mother's business years ago. Let me know if you want more info.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:53 pm 

I use Go Daddy also...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:49 pm 

Another vote for GoDaddy......they easily, and resonably, can handle reigistering your domain name as well as hosting your site. They also have an in house program to actually set up the site if you don't have a program or desire to do your own totally. I've been with them for about 12 years and have never had a problem......pricing is also the best I've found.

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

Amy,

First off, knowing the internals of how GoDaddy runs and the technical support staff they do not have, let me register a recommendation against them.

Aside from that: hosting platforms is the wrong place to start, just like you wouldn't launch a restaurant by shopping for carpeting. First step is to figure out what you want on the website:

• contact info?
  • order forms?
  • customer testimonials?
  • sample menus?
  • pictures of dishes?
  • blog?
  • other stuff?

Make it a "triage" list: stuff you must have, stuff you'd like to have, and stuff you only want if it's easy & free. Also at some point you'll want a business name, which will lead to finding a domain name.

Then it's time for some design and content. Figure out what kind of colors, layouts and imagery describe you. Look at other people's web sites and figure out what you like, or (better) what kinds of things your prospective customers like. While you're thinking about that, write up the text content for the website on a notepad, and organize any photos you want to use.

Once you have all that together, you're in good shape to either use a self-service platform (of which there are many), or hire a designer, who will be able to give you an accurate estimate because you have all your stuff together.

The advantage of self-service platforms is that they have low up-front cost compared to a designer. The disadvantages are that they tend to look cheap or formula, and the host of the platform basically owns your site ... you can't move it. However, I wouldn't recommend even trying to hire a web designer until the current dot-com boom ends; anyone good is expensive and unavailable right now. So, start with a self-service platform and plan to do a real web design after your business starts making money.

With your list of features and "looks" you need/want, though, you can choose the self-service platform which will work for you. Shop around; there are many of them. Most will help you register your domain as well as build your site. Also, try before you buy; many hosting sites overpromise and underdeliver.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:38 am 

Amy, I agree with everything Josh said. We started with Go Daddly and were not happy. We finally ended up with hostgator. Probably way more than you will need.

We started trying to do it ourselves, then hired a "cheap" alternative with what appeared to be good reviews, supposedly in the US, though really in India we found out. Finally went consulted a good web designer who told us what Josh said, but also because he's a friend of my son's (got to stop and brag, as of today he is Dr. Abramson, finished his Ph.D. in Computer Science) set us up with a marketing gal for a free consult. Got our concept straight then contacted a local young guy (Jason Cox) that worked for a good firm, but was hoping to go out on his own (now runs Sitehatchery.com). He knew our parameters and set us up beautifully imho for a very reasonable amount since we knew what we wanted and what we did not want/need to start.

The best part, it was set up so after the initial set up, we could maintain it without having to pay more unless we wanted major changes. I think the ability to make minor changes without having to pay is a big one. What you think you want today, may not be what you want after doing it full time for 6 months.

Start with deciding what you want to call your business now and will it serve in 2 years. Once you have that, you can start using it whenever suitable, whether is a comment in a local paper, e.g. Amy, owner of blank blank, presentations, etc., even before your site is up. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:07 am 

Josh, Alina, et. al,

Thanks for your input.

Actually, I should have been more specific in my question. My background is advertising and marketing, so I'm pretty familiar with the process. I led teams that built websites for companies like Citi, Sony, PwC, etc. I was just never responsible for design and technology. I was the lead client interface. I've done much of the legwork as far as site architecture. It's not a complex site, and I am going to buy a speedlight for my Nikon so I can get better pictures.

I already have a name for my business, AH Cuisine. (It's my initials, but also has an obvious secondary meaning.) Unfortunately, the domain name is taken, so I'm thinking about ah-cuisine.com. Thoughts?

Despite the fact my background is not as a designer, I have a very good eye for design. So let me rephrase my question: is there software which makes it easy for someone like me to build my own site that has the high-end design quality I want?

Amy

P.S. Alina, congrats to your son!