Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hershey's Premier White Chips
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:21 am 

Decided to let the grandkids make white chocolate bark. Recipe called for two 12 oz bags white chocolate chips melted in the microwave and stirred until smooth. Well, they microwaved them too long and they have more or less baked. I tried melting them over simmering water but no deal.

Any suggestions what I can do with this? I was thinking rolling them into balls in an attempt at truiffles but they don't hold together. Maybe add some peppermint oil?

fitzie

Post subject: Re: Hershey's Premier White Chips
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:44 am 

I have no ideas, but found these:

Quote:
How Can I Save Overheated Chocolate?
First, you will want to cool the chocolate, as it is harder to save overheated chocolate that has been at a high temperature for a long time. To cool the chocolate, remove the bowl from the heat source, transfer the chocolate to a dry, cool bowl, and stir in a handful of solid chocolate chunks. Stir constantly and allow the solid chocolate to bring down the temperature of the melted chocolate.

If the chocolate remains thick or lumpy, try straining it through a sieve first. If this doesn’t solve the problem, add a spoonful of vegetable oil or melted vegetable shortening and stir thoroughly. You can also try adding some freshly melted chocolate with a few drops of soya liquid lecithin (an emulsifier, available at health food stores), or using a handheld immersion blender to smooth the chocolate. If none of these tricks helps your chocolate, save it for use in baking recipes and begin again with a fresh batch of chocolate.

And
Quote:
If the white chocolate is on the brink of overheating, quickly throw some more white chocolate bits in and stir thoroughly, which will cool the mixture. If it has just begun to overheat and seize up, you may be able to loosen it with the addition of a little cocoa butter, vegetable oil, or shortening. If it has gone any further, there is nothing you can do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:09 pm 

Thanks, Jean. Unfortunately it's much too late for that. Looks like little fingers having been dipping into it all day so at least somebody is getting some enjoyment out of it!

fitzie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:27 pm 

Premier white chips aren't chocolate, so you couldn't use those tips at any rate. They are mainly sugar and fractionated palm oil, so I don't know any way they can be salvaged. Sorry! I hate it when that happens.

Here are the ingredients from the Hershey site: SUGAR; NONFAT MILK; PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (PALM KERNEL AND SOYBEAN OIL); PALM KERNEL OIL; CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: CORNSTARCH; ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR; SALT; HYDROGENATED PALM OIL; SOY LECITHIN.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:49 pm 

The name doesn't even imply they are chocolate. I should have paid more attention. They actually taste pretty good. Seeems everybody including DH was nibbling on them while I was out.

fitzie