Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's Authentic and Does It Really Even Matter.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:27 pm 

I got the snowblower down to within about an inch of where I think the lawn might be. Thanks for asking... :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Darcie wrote:
While I don't think it's wrong to attempt to identify an "authentic" version of a dish for the sake of historical accuracy, in practice it seems to be a bunch of sanctimonious snobs disparaging someone else's efforts, e.g., eG.

Well, I think it's important to not confuse "authentic" with "traditional". And further, when you say "traditional", you need to identify which tradition you're talking about, very specifically.

For example, it is not true that "traditional chili" has no beans. It is true that "traditional Texas chili con carne" has no beans. It is also true that "traditional Cincinatti Chili" and "traditional New Mexico chili" can have beans (there is no "Traditional vegetarian chili").

This is a little clearer in cases where the dish has a specific and well-documented origin. However, in most folk recipes, that's not the case. For example, if I wanted to create "traditional kachipuri" (a Georgian cheese-filled flatbread), it would be impossible to identify one "authentic" version, since every village and family in Georgia has their own version, and sometimes more than one.

And if you think about it, a "traditional 1930's martini" would be made with bathtub gin ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:03 pm 

Frank, I'd rather not talk about it :)

It's spitting rain right now, which is freezing to everything. Not sure which way the storm will turn but it will either get worse or get worse. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:29 pm 

It just better not be a snow day tomorrow. If I can get to the school so can the buses!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:35 am 

Ahhh…the unshaven one has dispensed wisdom, and the light has been shown!

If one can agree that Chili (the dish) is represented by Chili (the word) then agree that all (significantly recognized) judging organizations (http://www.chili.org/ ) (http://www.chili.org/documents/CASI%20O ... 20Book.pdf) (and that rouge group out in California) specifically prohibit the use of beans in chili. Then the issue lies solely in the preface and the postscript.

Clearly that would prohibit the use of the sequential use of the words “Chili with beans” but would be tolerant of the arraignment of “beans with chili” or the inclusion of beans in such dishes as “Cincinnati Chili”, “Vegetarian bean chili”, “people’s choice chili”, Paul’s Canadian style chili, etc.

Chili powder does not a chili make!

The world has at last been released from this bondage. We now know how Moses must have felt as he left Egypt!

Signature line has been edited to reflect new information! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:53 am 

Now that's an open-minded Bull Man -- miracles do happen.

Having reread this (it's quite interesting in its entirety), I thought I'd also put in in 2 cents. My argument is certainly not with those who adapt traditional recipes -- as has been well pointed out -- "tradition" is wholly dependent on how back it goes. My argument is with those who disparage traditional recipes without understanding and learning them in the first place. If we know why something is traditional, and we want to change it, we will make truly better improvements. If it's traditional never to add cheese to pasta with fish, it's good to know that to realize they are not natural soul mates and then we can think why we could go against something that is commonly accepted. The cheese with anchovies on bread makes sense only when we realize why anchovies (or canned tuna in the case of tuna melts) differs from other fresh, lean fish.

Breaking tradition, or going against accepted rules, whether in the culinary or other arts, is not bad but has to be done thoughtfully. And traditional approaches gives us that starting place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 am 

Lindsay wrote:
Now that's an open-minded Bull Man -- miracles do happen.

:mrgreen: Please forward to Diane... 8-)

I do believe that one can be so "open minded" that their brain is in danger of falling out! :lol:

That said...I have absolutely no problem with a wonderful chicken fried steak covered in what I consider to the manditory cream gravy ... however, I must also at least recognize that our (practicing) Jewish members would not share my view. Gravy will be served on the side when I have them over for a meal.

In turn...I "expect" that it be recognized that "chili" cannot have beans. :lol: :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:04 pm 

ABCDE

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:34 pm 

"mea maxima culpa" indeed...

Owned by ConAgra based in Omaha, Nebraska...nuff said. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Brand_Chili
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConAgra_Foods

Edit to add irony:

"Among the most successful innovations introduced by West and Slauson were Model T Ford trucks with cabs shaped like cans and painted to resemble the Wolf Brand label."

Health violations:

In 2001, the U.S. Department of Agriculture halted operations at two ConAgra plants because of health violations. The company was threatened with shutdowns at least a half dozen more times. The ConAgra facility in Longmont, Colorado, had the highest rate of Salmonella among all the turkey processors tested by the Department during 2001. Nearly half of the turkeys processed at ConAgra's Longmont, Colorado, facility were contaminated with harmful Salmonella bacteria, compared with a rate of 13 percent for the industry at large according to the consumer advocacy organization, Center for Science in the Public Interest.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:05 pm 

Is it just me, or does anyone else think getting Frank, Jim and a few pounds of beef and seasoning in a room would be good fun?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next