Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Food Lab: The Best Vegetarian Bean Chili
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:56 pm 

That was really funny (the bbq alley is actually not too far off reality!). On the other hand, for both you and Amy...Go Pats!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Jim,

Hah! :o

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:38 am 

Jim -

Hysterical ! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:16 pm 

In an attempt to move from “The Best” Vegetarian Chili to “Perfect” I decided to go with brined, dried beans instead of canned-Pintos and Chick peas. I have Ancho, Guajillo , and some unidentified dried chilies that I thought were pasillas, but are not wrinked. I have come to the conclusion that they are more Guajillos even though they are darker in color. They will have to do since the New Mexico chiles at Walmart were dry and brittle and only available in a one pound bag. For heat, I have some chilies that were ID’d as Cayenne when they were given to me that I dried myself.

I have not acquired any Marmite\Vegemite, but I did buy some MSG [Accent] and may opt for a Umami dart instead of a bomb. All of the vodka I have in the house has vanilla beans soaking in it so I need to crawl through my cabinet to see what other possibilities I have.

There has been another interesting development on the East Coast Chili front. It does not yet have the feel of being a cookoff, but a Cook’s Country test recipe for “Five Alarm Chili” showed up in my mailbox the other day, so another rivalry between NY and Boston could be building. Kenji vs. The Bow Tie Guy in a Chili Cage Match. Sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:36 pm 

I have obtained all the ingredients (including the Marmite) and will have a run at it this weekend. The fresh chili component was very dicey, until some wikipedia searching coughed up the fact that New Mexico chilis are also called Anaheim, which are available here fresh. T'would be nice for those kinds of facts to be in recipes, but I won't blame Kenji for that; it is a very common issue.

For some reason, I've gotten a deluge of test recipes recently, though no Chili. I can't imagine anything all that hot coming out of CI, but maybe CC does things hotter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:02 pm 

Paul,

That part of the recipe is not very clear, but I took the “Sweet and Fresh” category to refer to the flavor of the dried chili and not to indicate that there are any fresh peppers included. That said, I think I would like the flavor of a fresh Anaheim or Poblano in the mix.

The Cook’s Country test recipe gets it heat from using both chipotle chilies in adobo and jalapeno chilies so outside of Boston it would qualify as Two Alarm tops. Five Alarm requires at least one Habanero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:53 pm 

I think CK breaks out his tongue fan over anything spicier than a bread-and-butter pickle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:52 am 

Well, made it and had 'day 1' meal of it. I did the recipe as-is, and used dried Anaheims as Jim suggested (that does indeed seem to be the intention). The chilies used were Anaheim (New Mexico), Cascabel, Ancho & Pasilla. Process was as per recipe, with no particular things of note in the procedure; it is solid.

Tasting notes:
- When tasting throughout the 1.5 hour cook time, it tasted a little 'harsh'. This was much reduced with time, and even more so after the finish. It was still a tiny bit harsh on first bite, but this completely disappeared with a spoonful or two. I think it will disappear completely after sitting; will report back on that.
- This is quite hot (note I put in the two optional Cascabels). Hot enough to slow you down.
- You might think its vegan, so its light. It is not. A moderate portion was quite filling; this is rich heavy dish, despite hardly having any fat.
- This is, IMO, really really good. Really good. I look forward to the re-heated version!
- We served with green onions and warm tortillas.

Attachment:
Chili.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:00 pm 

My chili is sitting outside for its overnight rest waiting for the finishing touches of thickening and adding the booze. I will be serving it with some cornbread [the sweetish northern variety] from Dinosaur Barbecue cookbook, scallions, and diced avocado. If I make it again for a vegan audience I will search out a vegan cornbread recipe.

I did not follow the recipe quite as closely as Paul. Since I used dried, brined beans and only cooked them for about 45 minutes before proceeding with the recipe my cooking time was longer. Some was on the stove top and some was in a 200º oven while we went grocery shopping, I am not even quite sure what the total time was. Since the chili was already in the oven, I decided not to spring for the Marmite, but I did use about ½ tsp of MSG while I was chopping the garlic. I will be thickening it with ground tortilla chips or corn meal since I did not search for any Masa, but I think my chili will be true to Kenji's intent.

This is the third [maybe fourth] chili recipe that I have made using dried chilies instead of commercial powder and I am a solid convert. If you are a chili enthusiast and have not tried it yet, I suggest you find a recipe and do it post haste. It does take some time and effort, but the depth of flavor that results is well worth it. I think that the next time I do one of the recipes; I will have enough dried chilies on hand to use a whole can of Chipotle in Adobo and freeze the excess puree to speed up the next batch. I believe that a triple batch will accomplish it.

I will report back after I serve it to my favorite food critic who thinks that vegetarian chili needs to have ingredients like sweet potatoes, corn and black beans in it. That sounds more like a warm salsa recipe, so I am anxious to see what she thinks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:38 pm 

I couldn't agree more on the chili powder, Jim....I experimented with this last year for our work chili contest. I had never done anything at all like it, so I went easy with Alton Brown's chili powder. It was fun to do, and I now have a dedicated blender just for chili powder (the red will be there forever). The chile's are toasted on the stove and then tossed into the blender with a few other things and buzzed into the most wonderful smelling powder on earth. Deep and rich and smokey.......Mmmmm, I can smell it now....

I wish I had another couple of days before the super bowl to whip some up...
Karen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next