Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eat your books
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 am 

Paul posted about this yesterday, and I registered a long time ago, so someone else around here has mentioned it before, but this morning I finally got serious about inputting some cookbooks. (I wanted to try it before I committed to paying for it.) I found a voucher number online (12Q8FC3G) which still seems to be valid and gives you three free months.

I think I'm going to fall in love with this site (eatyourbooks.com). Not all books are indexed, but I'm going to try indexing a few (they do allow members to do this).

I look forward to typing something like tomato, saffron broth with seafood to see all the recipes I have on my bookshelf that match the criteria.

Damn, I wish I had thought of this...fantastic idea.

Amy

P.S. You can look at other member's bookshelves to see what they have. ATK's user name is pretty obvious...they've got a LOT of books. I'd need many more bookshelves to come close to them.

Post subject: Re: Eat your books
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:45 am 

And I also love it that, at minimum, I can get the required list of ingredients while I am still at work, where I tend to do meal planning. The one real use I've had of the CI site is not to find recipes, it is to find recipes when I'm not home. I see something good at the market, do a quick search, and "Oh!" there is a recipe and I get the other stuff for it. Or am sitting at work and the wife IM's me asking what supper is... anyway, the problem (ok, a problem) with CI is that its "menu" is quite restrictive, and really doesn't cover my culinary interests even remotely. Often just a quick search on eatyourbooks.com will pop up recipes I know, or am aware of, and they strike a chord so I go get the stuff on the way home. Or, more likely, send the list to my wife (who has a much shorter commute). Fantastic site.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:49 pm 

OK, I bit. I had never heard of it, Amy's code didn't work but it's -40C with the wind chill and I just finished sweeping the walk so, what the hell, i splurged for $25 for one year and IT IS AMAZING!

[uMa Cuisine][/u] by Escoffier and [uThe Cookbook ][/u]by Terrence Conran were not indexed but others are. Very neat site!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:11 pm 

I know Jane Kelly, the owner, quite well -- in fact just had her over for lunch. The site is going to get its next update tonight -- you'll be able to index recipes on recipes site. Really amazing how much indexing they've done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:01 pm 

Lindsay wrote:
I know Jane Kelly, the owner, quite well -- in fact just had her over for lunch.

Are they looking to hire? :D

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:14 pm 

I joined back when they were still in beta. To get the site off the ground, they had a deal - I think it was $50 for a lifetime membership.

It really is a great idea and a great site. At first it was just books, but they've added magazines, blogs, websites, and more. I get a lot more use out of my cookbooks now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Amy wrote:
Paul posted about this yesterday, and I registered a long time ago, so someone else around here has mentioned it before, but this morning I finally got serious about inputting some cookbooks.

That is a truly astonishing sentence.

I'm signing up for this, though. Obviously they don't have a bunch of my cookbooks, but there's a bunch the do have. Years ago, I paid an intern for a couple months (before she quit) to key in a lot of my cookbook indexes. Obviously I wasn't thinking big enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:16 pm 

I am ashamed to say that I have the lifetime membership and I just haven't gotten into the groove of using it. I think it is because with my three kids....every time I look for a specific cookbook of mine it has disappeared. I am gonna do better. That can be my NY resolution.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:13 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
That is a truly astonishing sentence.

Exactly what is so astonishing?

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:15 pm 

I agree with Fuzzy.

Think about trying to diagram that sentence. :)