Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eat your books
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Amy wrote:
Why the hell is everyone so interested in dissecting my grammar skills. I've got far more important things to think about. Any of you know how to bring a dog back to life?

Amy

Oh, no! What happened to your dog?

EDIT: ah, just saw the "comfort food" thread. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:02 pm 

I've really enjoyed reading this topic - grammar lessons as well as feedback on EYB! I would be very happy to answer any questions anyone has about the site. I'd also like to offer a 3 month trial membership to anyone here who would like to try EYB out without committing to a annual membership. Enter the voucher code COOKS03 when you sign-up at www.eatyourbooks.com.

Wino - it is a good idea to add ISBNs using the Import Books feature as any books we don't have in the Library (surprisingly there are some even though we already have 96,000 books listed) will get added to the Library and your Bookshelf. But the fastest way is to use a barcode scanner - you can get an app for your smart-phone or get one that plugs directly into the USB on your computer. Amazon has lots at varying prices or you can get them from an electronics store. And you would have to drink a lot of champagne not to be able to point and click a scanner.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:42 am 

Buy a scanner versus Champagne?! :?: :!: :o :lol:

I'm going to silently sit here and pretend you were only jesting :lol:

As a former librarian, it just does my heart good to gaze upon those comforting numbers - with Veuve Clicquot, of course!

BTW, thanks for the great offer but I'm quite fond of financially supporting those with great ideas; you qualify :!: :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:54 am 

Jane, what is the easiest way to report errors on specific entries? The typical one I see is an ingredient called "new ingredient" (I'd bet a search of your DB would come up with all the offenders...)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:42 am 

Paul - yes, I know we have a lot of clearing out to do of those rogue "new ingredients" but there always seems to be more urgent things to deal with. What they signify is that the indexer couldn't find an ingredient, even though we already have more than 14,400 in the list. So they enter that and we have to replace it with the new ingredient required. We are trying to clear them as we catch them but if there are any you spot that you would like changed now, just click Report an error at the bottom of the page and we will fix it. We are replacing "new ingredients" in all newly indexed books (we had to add 146 new ingredients for Modernist Cuisine!) and magazines but the older publications need to be cleared up.

wino - thanks for the financial support - it all helps. You'd be amazed (or maybe not!) how many people think EYB should be free. It costs a lot to index the cookbooks, magazines and blogs so we feel $2 a month for accessing all those indexes is a bargain. Glad you agree! BTW, I wasn't suggesting you buy a scanner instead of champagne (God forbid). I was saying it's easier to drink and scan than to drink and type!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:05 pm 

Thanks for the offer, Jane. I only know about the site because of the dedicated folks of this bulletin board. I cannot wait to look at it and take you up on it.
Ilene

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:58 pm 

Help, Jane
I just tried to sign up and entered the code you posted and got the message that the code does not apply. Should I be putting in the code somewhere other than on the first page of the sign up stage?
Ilene

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:10 pm 

Ilene,

IIRC you apply the coupon code later in the registration process.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:12 pm 

Thanks Amy....I try it that way
Ilene

Well it still doesn't work.....I completed the process, put in the code and it still didn't apply. When I register without entering the code, it takes me to directly to paypal. I am definitely doing something wrong. In anycase, I will go ahead and register without using the code.....it looks like exactly what I have been wishing for.
Ilene

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:39 pm 

$ worked 1st time for me :o :lol: :twisted: :!:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next