Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Eat your books
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Kenw,

It can't, because there aren't full recipes on EYB, just lists of "primary ingredients" for indexing. As well as being a galley-full of hard labor to key in all the full ingredient lists, it would raise questions of copyright for EYB.

That also means that their list of ingredients does not include all ingredients, just principal ones. Within that constraint, you can search on "eggplant tomato basil garlic" and get all the recipes with those four principal ingredients in them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:19 pm 

Thanks! My wife was thrilled when I told her about the site. Great thread.

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

JaneEYB,

Just used the site to find that I have 8 recipes using spaghetti squash in my library. Since spaghetti squash are currently $0.50/lbs at the grocer, this is a win. Go EYB!

Another great new feature: you can use EYB to index all your CI and Saveur magazines. There's even a bulk add by date feature.

Are there any plans to release a mobile client for EYB? I could use an Android one ... being able to access my list of recipes from the store would be really helpful. If it could read ISBNs off cookbooks, so much the better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:15 pm 

Fuzzy, you need to add a "like" button on this site :lol: :lol:

Yes, and android app would be lovely. I am addicted the EYB. Would like them to index Cook's Country though, that's where the recipes are....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:27 pm 

Sorry for delay in my response. I've been at a cookbook conference in NYC for the last 4 days which was fascinating. Lots of cookbook authors, publishers, bloggers, all got together to look at where the industry is going.

In response to Kenw and TheFuzzy re ingredient searches - it is always better to use the Only show filters on the right side for ingredients as it is then a very specific database match rather than a word search. The problem with a word search is that it looks for the word in recipe title, ingredients, book title and author name. You can also get mismatches where the ingredient has an alternative name. E.g. you look for beets you will also see Swiss chard as that has an alternative name of silverbeet. It's much better to select beets as a root vegetable in the ingredient filters.

The Fuzzy and KSyrahSyrah - we do plan a mobile interface which will allow you to easily view and search on EYB from any smartphone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Folks,

Still happy with EYB. Just found a ricotta pasta recipe in < 5 minutes with EYB. Two, in fact; one in the 2004 issue of CI, one in Cooking The Roman Way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 pm 

I don't use it a ton, but it's very helpful when I do need it. Unfortunately, many of my books aren't indexed.

Amy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6