Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stop SOPA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Folks,

Normally we all try to keep US politics off this board, which is a good thing. However, I'm going to bring up a current bill in Congress and ask you to do something about it ... because that bill threatens the existence of this board.

The bill is called the "Stop Online Piracy Act" (SOPA), athough it would be more accurate to call it the "Break the Internet Act".

Under SOPA, if any company decided that any post on this board was infringing on their copyrighted content (such as Certain Publishers in Boston), they would be able to shut down my domain name (cookaholics.org), effectively shutting down the board, and would not even need to consult a judge to do it. I would need to hire an attorney at my own expense to get the board turned back on ... and would not be entitled to any damages, even if the company acted frivolously.

SOPA grants corporations sweeping powers to "defend their property", without judicial or police oversight. Which means that any forum which criticizes a company -- such as this board -- would cease to exist. And right now it's set to steamroller through congress because the RIAA and MPAA have plowed $10m worth of campaign money into it.

So I'm asking you as a member of this board to phone your congressbeing at one of their offices, and leave a message asking them to oppose SOPA. You can look up your congressbeing's phone number here: http://www.contactingthecongress.org/ or here: http://www.house.gov/representatives/ . Phone is much better than email, since congress gets a lot of spam. Just leave a message with one of their staff, urging them to vote against SOPA. Then call your Senator(s) and ask them to oppose the Senate version of the bill, called Protect IP.

Read more about SOPA here:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/11/s ... ot-yet-out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20128 ... back-time/

Thank you, and now you can go back to cooking and jokes.

Post subject: Re: Stop SOPA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:16 pm 

Already contacted my state representative, senators, etc. An issue near to my heart.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:59 am 

Will do so today. Thanks Josh.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:03 am 

I have been, in my small way, and from far far away, trying to fight this travesty. I oppose the current copyright laws too. Not that I have anything against someone getting paid for their hard work and/or creativity. But when they push the laws so that the bean counters can keep making money for decades after a the creator dies, it destroys both the environment for creative endeavor and the respect for others work. This is to me an example of the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

Walt Disney, a great innovator of story telling, used stories in the public domain to create memorable work. But now Disney Studios is trying to make sure that nothing passes into the public domain. This is just one example of taking a good thing and becoming so defensive of it, freedom is destroyed in an unrelenting pursuit of profit.

So yeah, I'm again' fur shure!

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:08 am 

Just got off the phone with my House representative voicing my opinion (I told his aide the bill had to die--I really hope he understood WHAT had to die; I probably could have used a better term...).

I know MN Senators are against it, especially Al Franken. He's been leading the opposition as far as I can tell. I voiced my support for his stance.

I will also follow up with a handwritten letter to my representative's local office. I might copy the other reps, but I doubt Michelle "Crazy Eyes" Bachmann is in town to vote on anything...

Sorry, couldn't help myself :) No more politics, I promise. ;)

It's amazing - someone answered the phone at each office within 2 rings, with a real live person.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14 am 

Will do

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:37 am 

Just spoke with my Congressman's office as well as my Senators' offices. Do you happen to know the bill numbers? My Congressman's office asked me.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:56 am 

SOPA (the House bill) is H.R.3261. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act
Protect IP (the Senate bill) is S.968. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protect_IP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:21 am 

Thanks Pete...just called my Congressman's office back with the info.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:39 pm 

Thanks for posting this. My son (home from college) was talking about this last night at dinner saying it had the potential to shut down Facebook too (not that that would be a travesty for me!) I would bet the lobbying groups for lawyers are pushing this along with the RIAA & many more.

I'll make my calls after the holiday!