Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cook's Illustrated Board closing.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:48 am 

JesBelle wrote:
I think something has been lost in translation. I wasn't complaining about a lack of response to a recipe. I think I may have a handful of recipes I could even call my own to get all angsty over, anyway. Though now that you mention it, I'm shocked and dismayed that no one has told me how amazing my triple ginger biscotti are! I guess I'll just have to go eat a few and tell myself how amazing they are.

I'll tell you! Oh, and may I have the recipe? :)

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:19 am 

I've never had tuna noodle casserole. Deprived childhood I guess!

Triple ginger biscotti? How have I missed this? Is the recipe here somewhere????

edit to add, okay, I found it on the gingerbread house post. Here's the text...any changes since then?

Quote:
Phoenix - Sure, but keep in mind I just made it up today.

Triple Ginger Biscotti

2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons molasses
1 ½ tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
½ cup crystallized ginger, minced

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment, then oil.

2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground ginger together into a small bowl.

3. Whisk sugar and eggs to a light lemon color; stir in molasses, fresh ginger, and crystallized ginger. Sift the dry ingredients over egg mixture and fold in until dough is just combined.

4. Halve dough and turn each portion onto prepared cookie sheet. Using flour hands, quickly stretch each portion of dough into a 13x2-inch log, placing them about 3 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Pat each dough shape to smooth it. Bake, turning pan once, until loaves are golden and just beginning to crack on top, about 35 minutes.

5. Cool the loaves for 10 minutes; lower the oven temperature to 325°. Cut each loaf diagonally into 3/8-inch slices with a serrated knife. Lay the slices about ½-inch apart on the cookie sheet, cut side up, and return them to the oven. Bake, turning over each cookie halfway through baking, until crisp and golden brown on both sides, about 15 minutes. Transfer biscotti to wire rack and cool completely.

This was based on some biscotti recipes from the January '94 issue of CI (Steve Johnson - author) and various Triple Ginger Cookie recipes from around the web. It was too liquidy; I had to add about 1/3 cup of flour to make it workable. I think next time I try it, I will use 2 eggs and 1 yolk. If that is still too sloppy, I'll try it with 2 eggs. Basically, I mean to try this recipe many times, because it turned out pretty dang good. I just ate more biscotti than I care to mention dipped in a cup of Trader Joe's Vanilla Cinnamon Tea. Yum.

Oh, and of course the egg-sugar mixture will not get "lemony" in color, nor will the finished biscotti be golden brown. Just look for the cracks (They will be very little.), but be careful; they burn easily. I think it might be the molasses.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:34 am 

cmd2012 wrote:
But Tim,

Your homemade cranberry jelly formed in used cat food tons was legendary! :D

Carey,

This last Thanksgiving, I improved the recipe following exhaustive testing. My new technique calls for washing the cat food cans before adding the cranberry sauce.

cc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:01 am 

Tim
I tried that, and it lost the special piquancy my family loved. I would use flavors that complemented the rest of the meal-the turkey and giblets "pate" style was a big hit, but the poultry platter was also popular.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 am 

Jean & Amy,

That's the recipe. Two eggs and one yolk are spot on. I swap out half of the white flour with white whole wheat. Also, I've taken to baking them on the top-middle rack. The bottoms were just getting too brown. Be warned they are dunking biscotti. Cary likes them dry but he's cutting teeth. If all of your teeth have come in, you might want a cup of coffee or tea with them lest they decide to come back out.

Phoenix,

I made the mistake of using Trader Joe's Cream of Portobello Soup in my last tuna casserole. It was just not the salt-bomb I know and love. I'll know better next time! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:14 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:28 am 

I haven't been there in weeks, is it still mostly spam? When CI's board was at its best it was like this site is now. A lot of the same players which makes me happy as well as new nice people.

I am so happy Jim suggested I give this site a try, thanks Jim.

Barry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:43 am 

It pretty much a wreck http://www.cooksillustrated.com/ibb/top ... &boardID=1 Spammers are posting like mad, up to about 1,150,000 posts 250,000 or so are legitimate posts the rest are spam.

Not sure why it is still functional (term used loosely) but it is.

We are glad you found your way here, welcome home.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:33 am 

Looks like it might finally be really dead. They don't redirect the URLs to something useful, like an explainer page (which would be helpful to some poor shmuck who just followed a link there), but at least they look like they got it dead finally.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:42 am 

Thank goodness, that was painful to watch.

http://www.videosurf.com/video/sinking-ships-72798924

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next